[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Good and Bad PC-AT Systems

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (02/02/90)

I am currently saving up for a PC-AT System. What I would like to
know is which companies to avoid purchasing a computer from. On my
list to avoid is:

Dell

Additions would be welcome.
--
{ames att sun}!pacbell! \                 <-> America OnLine: Mark Holtz
        ucdavis!csusac! -> sactoh0!mholtz <=>       GEnie: M.HOLTZ

sukenick@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (SYG) (02/03/90)

>I am currently saving up for a PC-AT System. What I would like to

good for you!

>list to avoid is: >Dell

why?  We have one of their '386 systems; while pricey,
it works fine.....Their software support stinks
(ie: human support) but their hardware support is ok.

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (02/03/90)

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:

>I am currently saving up for a PC-AT System. What I would like to
>know is which companies to avoid purchasing a computer from. On my
>list to avoid is:
>
>Dell

I be interested to know what is wrong with Dell.  I've been pretty
happy with them.  I've given up on Compaq, Everex and, of course, IBM.
Poor or nonexistant support being one reason (all three).  Lack of
reliability for Compaq and Everex is another.  Proprietary BS from Compaq
and IBM is a third reason.
--
Marshall       "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
                from magic."    Arthur C. Clarke

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Feb2.200827.24792@seri.gov> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>
>>I am currently saving up for a PC-AT System. What I would like to
>>know is which companies to avoid purchasing a computer from. On my
>>list to avoid is:
>>
>>Dell
>
>I be interested to know what is wrong with Dell.  I've been pretty

We have quite a few Dell's here (thanks to a purchasing agreement).  We bought
one Dell 286 12 MHz machine back when it was the fastest thing going. It's
worked like a dream.  We've since bought 2 dozen or so 310 and 325's (20 MHz
386 and 25 MHz 386 respectively).  They haven't been quite so trouble free.

To be fair, the hardware support response time has generally been good, but the
field technicians are not too hot.  If replacing the HD controller doesn't
work, then call Home, replace the motherboard, if that doesn't work call Home,
replace hard disk, if that doesn't work call Home, replace controller board
again, etc. The guy the send out knows less about PC's than I do. (and that's
not a whole lot :-)

Dell seems to be having some trouble with quality control.  If you happen to
get a good computer off the bat your fine (~60% success rate here).  If you
do get a lemon, be prepared to drink a lot of lemonade for the next six months
while you *wait* for the repair cycle to complete.

The only other company that I can compare service with was a West Coast
distributor of 386 motherboards. We bought a dozen of them to upgrade some old
PC's with. We had a terrible time working the bugs out (1 man service dept.,
*very* strong Japenese accent) but they're all working fine now.  They were
just a 24-hour burn-in test and ship outfit selling boards made in Japan. They
really didn't have a full fledge service department. I'ld just as soon deal
with Dell's service department, but I rather not have to deal with any of it
(the other board's problem was pretty trivial once we figured it out.)

All things considered, I agree with the original poster. Stay away from Dell.

DISCLAIMER: These are my own opinions. I don't speak for Ga. Tech, GTRI, The
            State of Georgia, or anybody else.  In fact, until I clear this
            with my wife, I'm not sure even I speak for myself :-)

--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (02/04/90)

In article <1990Feb2.191221.6707@sci.ccny.cuny.edu>, sukenick@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (SYG) writes:
> >list to avoid is: >Dell
>
> why?  We have one of their '386 systems; while pricey,
> it works fine.....Their software support stinks
> (ie: human support) but their hardware support is ok.

I based that assumption on the "Bad Experience" info posted on the
net.