[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HD Defragment?

sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/03/90)

Hi yall.  Can anyone reccomend a good hard drive file defragmenter?  I just
need the name of the program and possibly an anon ftp site... Please
respond even if you think someone has beat you to it.

Thanks in advance.
Steve N.

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (01/04/90)

>Hi yall.  Can anyone reccomend a good hard drive file defragmenter?  I just
>need the name of the program and possibly an anon ftp site... Please
>respond even if you think someone has beat you to it.

The one that comes with PCTools Deluxe is quite good. In fact PCTools
Deluxe is a great package to have period.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) (01/04/90)

      Norton Utilities put out a good utility to repair disk fragmentation.
      I use it periodically on my hard disk and I notice a slight performance
      improvement.  Norton also includes a bunch of other useful stuff, eg.
      file recovery. :)

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (01/05/90)

In article <111700190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi yall.  Can anyone reccomend a good hard drive file defragmenter?  I just
>need the name of the program and possibly an anon ftp site... Please
>respond even if you think someone has beat you to it.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Steve N.

I am sure there are PD versions, but if not, there are several commercial
packages that work.

Disk Optimizer from Softlogic Solutions

Norton Utilities

PCtools

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

  I use a thing called SST, the seek stopper. Seems pretty good.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (01/05/90)

In article <111700190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive file defragmenter?  I just
> need the name of the program and possibly an anon ftp site...

Sorry, I don't know off-hand of any public domain ones.  I like the
COMPRESS utility that comes with PC Tools (I have version 5.1).  It
seems to work well.  Most importantly, it's *extremely* careful, moving
blocks around several times if necessary, so it can make atomic updates
to the File Allocation Table.  What that means is, if the system
crashes, my file system should be okay.

PC Tools is a good disk utility/electronic desktop package; I've
recommended it, and people who've bought it on my endorsement have said
they like it.

> Steve N.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (01/05/90)

}
}The one that comes with PCTools Deluxe is quite good. In fact PCTools
}Deluxe is a great package to have period.

Unfortunately, it is also quite slow.  The shareware DOG (available on SIMTEL)
is twice as fast, and OPTUNE is nearly *four* times as fast.  However, I do
agree that PC Tools is a great package to have.
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

canders@plains.UUCP (Carlin Anderson) (01/06/90)

I found a hard drive defragmenter through a local BBS here in Fargo.  If you
would like a copy of this, leave me a PRIVATE message.  I can upload that
file to the anon ftp directory here at plains, and will let you know when it
is available.

	The program is called OPTUNE, btw.

Carlin Anderson

canders@plains.nodak.edu

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (01/06/90)

In article <4378@pegasus.ATT.COM>,
psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:

>PC Tools is a good disk utility/electronic desktop package; I've
>recommended it, and people who've bought it on my endorsement have said
>they like it.

I also use and love PC-TOOLS. I recently bought version 5.5, and
find the combination of features unbeatable, especially at the
price.

I also want to put in a plug for Central Point Software's Technical
Support. My version did not have support for a full screen in VT100
emulation mode, which made it hard to use as a terminal emulator
(there was one line too few on the screen). I asked whether there
was some way of fixing this, e.g. by removing one of the status
lines from the screen, and I was sent a new version of the program a
week or so later which had this feature in it. While I am sure the
feature had been added without my intervention, I was very impressed
by the quick, no hassle response.

They have also tried to answer other questions I have had, which I
have sent via their technical support hotline (number included with
the telecommunications part of the program).

Richard Stanton

pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (01/06/90)

In article <25a48e9f@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>In article <1640040@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) wrote:
>}>Hi yall.  Can anyone reccomend a good hard drive file defragmenter?  I just
>}
>}The one that comes with PCTools Deluxe is quite good. In fact PCTools
>}Deluxe is a great package to have period.
>
>Unfortunately, it is also quite slow.  The shareware DOG (available on SIMTEL)
>is twice as fast, and OPTUNE is nearly *four* times as fast.  However, I do
>agree that PC Tools is a great package to have.

DOG and PCTOOLS both claim that the reorganization can be interrupted by
a power failure _at any point_ without disastrous consequences.  Is
OPTUNE so careful?

Which of the three support >32M partitions?

Duncan Murdoch

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (01/06/90)

In article <1090@maytag.waterloo.edu> dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
}In article <25a48e9f@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
}>In article <1640040@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) wrote:
}>}The one that comes with PCTools Deluxe is quite good. In fact PCTools
}>}Deluxe is a great package to have period.
}>
}>Unfortunately, it is also quite slow.  The shareware DOG (available on SIMTEL)
}>is twice as fast, and OPTUNE is nearly *four* times as fast.  However, I do
}>agree that PC Tools is a great package to have.
}
}DOG and PCTOOLS both claim that the reorganization can be interrupted by
}a power failure _at any point_ without disastrous consequences.  Is
}OPTUNE so careful?

Probably not, but I always do a full backup before a defrag (and would even
with a program that claims to be power-failure proof).  Of course, I have a
tape backup, so such a backup is no big deal for me....  You will notice,
though, that DOG is twice as fast as PC Tools compress even though both are
very careful to keep the FATs updated.

}Which of the three support >32M partitions?

No idea.  I'm only using 32M partitions, so I never bothered to check.  New
versions of PC Tools and Optune no doubt support huge partitions.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

wayner@otc.otca.oz (Wayne Robinson) (01/10/90)

 In article <111700190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive file defragmenter?  I just
> need the name of the program and possibly an anon ftp site...

Try Disk OrGanizer (DOG) from Soft GAMs Software, G.Allen Morris III,
 1411 10th Avenue Oakland, CA 94606. Its shareware and is great value.

---
Do not fold, spindle			|	Wayne Robinson
or mutate. 				|	Development Unit

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (01/11/90)

>Try Disk OrGanizer (DOG) from Soft GAMs Software, G.Allen Morris III,
> 1411 10th Avenue Oakland, CA 94606. It's shareware and is great value.

I second this motion. Unless you enjoy buying something
expensive, this does the whole job. Yes, it is on SIMTEL20.

--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/12/90)

In article <1243@otc.otca.oz> wayner@otc.otca.oz (Wayne Robinson) writes:
>Try Disk OrGanizer (DOG) from Soft GAMs Software, G.Allen Morris III,
> 1411 10th Avenue Oakland, CA 94606. Its shareware and is great value.

I used DOG in preference to Norton Speed disk, PC-Tools Deluxe, Mace Defrag
and others, until I switched to DOS 4.01 and large partitions, which DOG
didn't know anything about.  Perhaps there is a new version of DOG for
DOS 4.01?

Now I am using Norton Speed Disk from Norton Advanced 4.5.  I personally
feel that Norton's Utilities are worth the money, and I have given up
using Mace and PC-Tools for anything.  Incidentally, with Norton, be sure
to run the Format Recover /SAVE function frequently, which helps with
any kind of recovery that you may have to do on your disk someday by storing
a copy of directory and FAT info in a known location on the disk.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (01/23/90)

I recently (and in error, as it turned out) took full advantage of DOS
4.01's ability to handle huge partitions and created a 110-meg partition
on my MiniScribe 3130S (SCSI). The latest (and 4.01-compat.) version of
Golden Bow's VOPT wouldn't recognize the SCSI device, so it was scrapped...
then I began using Speed Disk. It worked flawlessly until about 55% of the
disk filled up - then it began aborting with "Not enough RAM" errors...

Now I am left with the horrid prospect of backing everything up to floppies
and reformatting the drive with smaller partitions that CAN be optimized....
either that, or wait patiently for someone to re-write their inadequate
utility....

Backup and restore aren't a problem here, but the work required to change
from one disk to three logicals is horrendous - the system serves as
a mailer/bbs in IMEx/EggNet, and serves as a UseNet gateway as well -
fixing the mess I created will require manual edits in four independent
Opus bulletin boards, an echomail management utility and mailer/editor..
since the system handles about 400 message areas, you can figure out how
much work will be involved....

At any rate, Speed Disk, like everything else, has it's limitations...
I wish it didn't :-)

--
1B Systems Management Ltd. | 4B - 2520 Bowen Road, Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 3L3
Kenneth McVay  | Voice: 604-758-7414 | Envoy: ken.mcvay | RCSA: 89:681/1

amoss@batata.huji.ac.il (amos shapira) (02/05/90)

oly.EDU> <1590@oneb.UUCP>
Sender: news@shuldig.huji.ac.il
Apparently-To: post-usenet@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.bitnet

Try optune, the copy I have in hand apears to be a beta-test, but I'm using
it over 2 months almost dayly, and it's simply greate. Maybe it could handle
your disk. I'll try to dig out of it more info if you'll be interested.

Cheers,
- Amos Shapira

amoss@batata.bitnet
amoss@batata.huji.ac.il