[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AIDS Trojan - the Police charge a US Citizen

alanj@ibmpcug.co.uk (Alan Jay) (02/02/90)

Yesterday afternoon in Clevland Ohio the FBI arrested a man on blackmail
charges relating to the AIDS trojan program sent out from the UK in December.

The suspect, Dr Popp aged 39, was arrested at his parents residence.
He will appear in court today on the blackmail charge and extradition
procedures are under way.

I wonder if anybody out there knows anything more about the gentelman
concerned with this event.  If so please email me and I will summarise.

Alan Jay

PS I think it is interesting that unlike the recent 'internet' case that
the charge is blackmail.  I suspect that this is due to the current state
of UK law.

--
Alan Jay - Editor Connectivity              The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,
Tel.     01-863 1191   Fax: 01-863 6095     Harrow HA1 4LQ, ENGLAND

tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) (02/06/90)

In article <266d.25c99ee0@ibmpcug.co.uk> alanj@ibmpcug.CO.UK
(Alan Jay) writes:

>PS I think it is interesting that unlike the recent 'internet' case that
>the charge is blackmail.  I suspect that this is due to the current state
>of UK law.

It is due to the fact that in the Internet case, it was clear that there
was no intent to extort money from the sites affected.  In the AIDS trojan
case, it appears that the whole intent of the scheme was to get people to
send in money to obtain a 'cure' to the virus that was trashing data files.

Tim Meighan
Silent Radio