[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Non-cached motherboards

thomas@ux3.lbl.gov (Mark Thomas) (02/04/90)

	I'm looking for advice concerning 386 (20-25 MHz) motherboards.  I
want to purchase a reliable non-cached motherboard, but it appears that the
big-name boards such as AMI and MYLEX aren't making them.  I've seen that
MICRONICS makes one, but I've noticed a number of complaints about
incompatabilities on the net.

	Also, some discussion concerning cached systems and multitasking
might be interesting.  Saul Lubkin in the Computer Shopper has been
professing that most cached systems don't work optimally under an
intensive multitasking environment.  Anyone have any comments? or info?

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/05/90)

> 	I'm looking for advice concerning 386 (20-25 MHz) motherboards.  I
> want to purchase a reliable non-cached motherboard, but it appears that the
> big-name boards such as AMI and MYLEX aren't making them.  I've seen that

I'm running with a 25 mhz 386 non-cached MB from AMI with 72 DRAM sockets for
up to 8 megabytes of 80ns RAM right on the motherboard.  The board works
perfect and the AMI BIOS allows me to configure the system to run at the
fastest possible configuration.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

In article <4761@helios.ee.lbl.gov> thomas@ux3.lbl.gov (Mark Thomas) writes:

| 	Also, some discussion concerning cached systems and multitasking
| might be interesting.  Saul Lubkin in the Computer Shopper has been
| professing that most cached systems don't work optimally under an
| intensive multitasking environment.  Anyone have any comments? or info?

  If running four users on 2.5MB under UNIX counts as intensive, there's
no problem. The results are the same with or without the cache, just a
LOT slower without. I have run Xenix and V.3 on AMI, Dell, and Compaq
without problems.

  I believe that there are some disk controllers which have problems
with a cached M.B. under some conditions, but I've never seen it with
WD, Adaptek, or Perstor.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

dcling@athena.mit.edu (Douglas C Ling) (02/06/90)

In article <4761@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, thomas@ux3.lbl.gov (Mark Thomas) writes:

> 	I'm looking for advice concerning 386 (20-25 MHz) motherboards.  I
> want to purchase a reliable non-cached motherboard, but it appears that the
> big-name boards such as AMI and MYLEX aren't making them.  I've seen that
> MICRONICS makes one, but I've noticed a number of complaints about
> incompatabilities on the net.
>
> 	Also, some discussion concerning cached systems and multitasking
> might be interesting.  Saul Lubkin in the Computer Shopper has been
> professing that most cached systems don't work optimally under an
> intensive multitasking environment.  Anyone have any comments? or info?
In article <4761@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, thomas@ux3.lbl.gov (Mark Thomas) writes:

> 	I'm looking for advice concerning 386 (20-25 MHz) motherboards.  I
> want to purchase a reliable non-cached motherboard, but it appears that the
> big-name boards such as AMI and MYLEX aren't making them.  I've seen that
> MICRONICS makes one, but I've noticed a number of complaints about
> incompatabilities on the net.
>
> 	Also, some discussion concerning cached systems and multitasking
> might be interesting.  Saul Lubkin in the Computer Shopper has been
> professing that most cached systems don't work optimally under an
> intensive multitasking environment.  Anyone have any comments? or info?
I am considering a 386-20 motherboard made by Novas/Computrade in
California. It uses C&T chip set and has 16Meg Simm
capacity. Full size board cost about $615 (university pricing) with a
25Mhz version at $100 extra. From the brochures
it looks very neatly laid out with AMI(ooops!) Bios and multi-layer
construction. Of course I would few more confident
if someone will tell me that he/she had good experience with their
product! They will also come out with a 33Mhz-cache
board in about a month.
I don't have their address with me now but if someone is interested, let
me know.
With memory so cheap these days ($74 for 1 Meg of 80ns SIMM here in
Boston), I wonder if some of the caching advantage
can not be realized by simple Ram-disking (I call it dumb-caching, as
opposed to 'intelligent' caching). The problem
with Multi-tasking on some of the Cache-boards is that everytime a
different task is call to the foreground (or even
worse, just active), the cache is refreshed and Pop goes the data!
Anyway, someone can probably enlighten me on the technical details of
caching....