[comp.sys.ibm.pc] zip archive?

sct@lanl.gov (Stephen Tenbrink) (02/05/90)

I have received some files with a new archive extension that I had not seen
before.  This is a ".zip" extension on the files.  Can some kind soul
direct me to where I can get an 'un-archiver' for these files?

Thanks.

--
Steve Tenbrink
sct@lanl.gov

bmh@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Brian M Hoffman) (02/05/90)

In article <42826@lanl.gov> sct@lanl.gov (Stephen Tenbrink) writes:
>I have received some files with a new archive extension that I had not seen
>before.  This is a ".zip" extension on the files.  Can some kind soul
>direct me to where I can get an 'un-archiver' for these files?

>Steve Tenbrink
>sct@lanl.gov

The .zip format is the format used by pkzip, Phil Katz's latest compression
program.  The entire program should be called pkz102.exe and should not be hard
to find at your favorite PD site.  You will find it substantially faster and
better than Phil's older pkarc and pkpak.

I should point out to the general lurkers in this conference that .zip has
virtually replaced .arc or .zoo or whatever as the new IBM compression
standard for PD users.  With the exception of this group of people, virtually
all other pc type people have switched to .zip.

Truthfully yours,

Brian

|disclaimer ----> I mean what I say, usually|

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/06/90)

In article <42826@lanl.gov> sct@lanl.gov (Stephen Tenbrink) writes:
>I have received some files with a new archive extension that I had not seen
>before.  This is a ".zip" extension on the files.  Can some kind soul
>direct me to where I can get an 'un-archiver' for these files?

Get pkz102.exe by anonymous ftp eg from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, or download it from any good BBS (bulletin board).  At
chyde.uwasa.fi it is in directory /pc/pd2.  (You'll see from other
replys what .zip is about.)
Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)