[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can I get 132 Columns on an NEC GS-2A?

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (02/04/90)

I have an NEC Multisync GS-2A monitor, which has a maximum resolution of
800 by 600 noninterlaced.  I am driving it with an ATI VGA Wonder.  Is
there any way that I can get 132 columns out of this combination?  The
ATI card will do 132 columns on a variety of monitors, including TTL mono-
chrome, RGB, EGA, and multisync.  However, the way it drives multisync
monitors at 132 colums exceeds the maximum scan rate on the GS-2A.  Since
my monitor can display EGA resolutions, it seems that it should be capable of
doing the EGA-like 132 columns, but I don't see how to tell my card to do
this.  My monitor supports three vertical scan rates: 56hz, 60hz, and 70hz;
and two horizontal scan rates: 31.5hz and 35hz.

-David Hinds
 dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (02/06/90)

In article <8803@portia.Stanford.EDU>, dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
> I have an NEC Multisync GS-2A monitor, which has a maximum resolution of
> 800 by 600 noninterlaced.  I am driving it with an ATI VGA Wonder.  Is
> there any way that I can get 132 columns out of this combination?  The
> ATI card will do 132 columns on a variety of monitors, including TTL mono-
> chrome, RGB, EGA, and multisync.  However, the way it drives multisync
> monitors at 132 colums exceeds the maximum scan rate on the GS-2A.  Since
> my monitor can display EGA resolutions, it seems that it should be capable of
> doing the EGA-like 132 columns, but I don't see how to tell my card to do
> this.  My monitor supports three vertical scan rates: 56hz, 60hz, and 70hz;
> and two horizontal scan rates: 31.5hz and 35hz.

The STB VGA cards from the first would do 132-column EGA/Multisync modes (that
is, 132x25 8x14 font or 132x44 8x8 font), and the newer ones do it in the
standard 31.5 KHz screen formats (so you get some selection of 132x25 9x16 font
132x43 9x14, 132x50 8x8, 132x60 8x8, etc., depending on the individual card and
the amount of ROM space left in the BIOS when I did it ;^).

Most Tseng based cards will also support these modes (Orchid, Tecmar, etc.), but
I can only vouch for the ones I work on (so far as the details of timing go).

The ATI problem may be that the sync pulse width or polarity are wrong, too,
since the GS-2A really should handle any reasonable 132 column mode (and
another possibility is that it is interlaced, ATI is one of the few vendors
that supports interlaced video modes other than 1024x768, and you may have
inadvertently selected one of those).

> -David Hinds
>  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

Charles Marlsett
STB Systems, Inc.  <- apply all standard disclaimers
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us