[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Video help request

schanck@harmonica.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (02/06/90)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a problem which has been bugging me for quite a while.  I need
some correct information on how to recognize text video modes.  Primarily,
I need to be able to recognize the base segment address of the video
memory page 0, the number of columns, and the number of rows.  I have
a hand-coded library which works lickety split fast given this info,
but I have had little luck tracking down this info down.

Ideally, I would like a function which would handle this similar to
the method Telix uses.  You can specify three possibilties:
	1) current setup (means recognizing the current setup)
	2) 80x43 (EGA & VGA)
	3) 80x50 (Mostly VGA)
	4) 132 versions of 2&3

So if anyone can provide the info, or point to a text with the
appropriate info, I would really appreciate it.

Chris

-=-
"Ixnay on the Ottenray!"
                           --- Igor, "Young Frankenstein"
Christopher Schanck (schanck@cis.ohio-state.edu)

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (02/07/90)

In article <76694@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <schanck@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>Ideally, I would like a function which would handle this similar to
>the method Telix uses.  You can specify three possibilties:
>	1) current setup (means recognizing the current setup)
>	2) 80x43 (EGA & VGA)
>	3) 80x50 (Mostly VGA)
>	4) 132 versions of 2&3

I usually read it directly from the BIOS variables.  There are functions to
return the video mode and number of columns and base address, but nothing that
I can see will tell me how many rows.  So, if the mode is "3", I just peek into
the standard BIOS variable locations to get the number of rows.

This, by the way, allows support for 30,40,43,50,60 lines in text mode,
in addition to the "standard" 25 lines.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmers58!mlord          | These are only MY opinions.  |