[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 486 w/ 100ns DRAM ??

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (02/07/90)

In article <959@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay "lock-on" $ingh - Indy Studies) writes:
> Along the same note, I am hoping someone can help me with several questions
> relating to 386sx vs. 386dx architectures.
>
> 1. I have a DTK 386sx (ppm-1630 is the technical name) with 2 megs of 100
> ns drams. ?) Are these memory chips the same as that used in 386dx chips?
>

> 3. Does anyone know of any 486 boards with 100 nsec DRAMS?

	If it is done right, then 32-bit memory is usually arranged in
multiples of 36 (counting parity) chips. So if the 2M is 8 sets of 256K,
it is is a 386DX configuration. If it is 2 sets of 1M, then probably not,
although, not all architectures are optimal.

	Similarly, 486 boards with 100ns DRAMs are probably a bad design.
Since the slowest 486 is 25MHz, this leaves only 40ns for memory access
without a wait state. A cache can only do so much. A common solution is
to interleave the memory and alternate the refresh of the even/odd bits.
This allows 80ns RAM to be used with essentially no wait state. Of
course, this requires 8 banks of chips (or multiple thereof) for optimal
performance, twice as much as above. Of course, multiples of 4 will work
(multiples of 36 chips as above) but they force a wait state.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine