[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RLL controler for Maxtor xt-1140

mwilcox@pcocd2.intel.com (Mike Wilcox ) (02/04/90)

Greeting net-landers,

	I am looking for a RLL controler to attach a Maxtor xt-1140 to.
I have read previous messages that although this is a MFM drive, it
works rather well as a RLL. I would like to have 1:1 interleave and
control floppies as well. another option would be a hard disk controller
only. I believe that the xt-1140 has more than 1024 cylinders, if so a
sector translating controller would be nice.

Thanks for any help,

Mike Wilcox                                   mwilcox@pcocd2.intel.com
Intel Corp.
Folsom, CA

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/05/90)

>	I am looking for a RLL controler to attach a Maxtor xt-1140 to.
>I have read previous messages that although this is a MFM drive, it
>works rather well as a RLL. I would like to have 1:1 interleave and

I would suggest the Adaptec 2372C controller.  Many folks are using the
WD1006VSR2 but I (as well as others) have experienced problems using it
in extremely loaded multitasking/multiuser installations.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/05/90)

> works rather well as a RLL. I would like to have 1:1 interleave and
> control floppies as well. another option would be a hard disk controller
> only. I believe that the xt-1140 has more than 1024 cylinders, if so a
> sector translating controller would be nice.

Check into the Adaptec 2372 family of controllers.

In article <1576@mipos3.intel.com> mwilcox@pcocd2.intel.com (Mike Wilcox ) writes:

| 	I am looking for a RLL controler to attach a Maxtor xt-1140 to.
| I have read previous messages that although this is a MFM drive, it
| works rather well as a RLL. I would like to have 1:1 interleave and
| control floppies as well. another option would be a hard disk controller
| only. I believe that the xt-1140 has more than 1024 cylinders, if so a
| sector translating controller would be nice.

  I have used the WD1006VSR2 and Adaptek 2372 models. If you are running
Xenix the WD will probably be about three times faster, due to hardware
track buffering. If you run ix/386 the buffering is done in the kernel,
provides equal performance (and CPU overhead) for either. I have not
tried SCO UNIX, ESIX, etc, with either enough to have a good feel for
it.

  When running two drives I have had problems with both controllers.
The Adaptek sometimes "loses" the drive params of the 2nd drive on power
up, easily cured by a low level format. I had the problem with two
controllers, and Karl Denninger mentioned that he had seen it, also. The
WD sometimes gets a lockup with two drives. This *seems* to be due to
the system starting a seek on both drives and messing up the interrupts
generated. I'm told (by Karl again) that there is a patch for ix/386 to
fix this. He posted some jumper settings which keep it under control for
Xenix. Obviously this can't happen with DOS which doesn't have the
brains to overlap seeks.

  I believe the 1140 is physically the same as the next larger drive
(1190 or 2190) and has extra tracks which haven't been tested. You can
try them, and you may get a bonus of 30% extra tracks. However, if they
are not good you have no comeback on warantee.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

In article <25cc5b9a:18.1comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

| I would suggest the Adaptec 2372C controller.  Many folks are using the
| WD1006VSR2 but I (as well as others) have experienced problems using it
| in extremely loaded multitasking/multiuser installations.

  I covered this in some detail in another posting, but just to clarify,
there seems to be a lockup problem when running Xenix or UNIX on the WD
with two drives. I'm told there is a patch for ix/386, and that it
doesn't happen on a single drive system. The WD is about 3:1 faster than
the Adaptek on Xenix.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

>-----
>Response 1 of 1 (8659) by larry at nstar.UUCP on Mon 05 Feb 90 13:04
>[Larry Snyder]
>(11 lines)
>
>>	I am looking for a RLL controler to attach a Maxtor xt-1140 to.
>>I have read previous messages that although this is a MFM drive, it
>>works rather well as a RLL. I would like to have 1:1 interleave and
>
>I would suggest the Adaptec 2372C controller.  Many folks are using the
>WD1006VSR2 but I (as well as others) have experienced problems using it
>in extremely loaded multitasking/multiuser installations.

On the other hand, I have a WD1006V/SR2 in a ISC 386 machine right now, in
fact, the one that runs our News.  Right now the disk lights (2 controllers,
WD1006 primary, ACB2370B secondary) are BOTH ON SOLID.  This is not
something that is unusual; we run a load average over 5 at times (yikes!).
Never had a single problem with the WD1006.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

>-----
>Response 3 of 3 (8659) by davidsen at sixhub.UUCP on Wed 07 Feb 90 00:22
>[Wm E. Davidsen Jr]
>(16 lines)
>
>  I covered this in some detail in another posting, but just to clarify,
>there seems to be a lockup problem when running Xenix or UNIX on the WD
>with two drives. I'm told there is a patch for ix/386, and that it
>doesn't happen on a single drive system. The WD is about 3:1 faster than
>the Adaptek on Xenix.

This is true, but it only happens on SOME WD1006 boards.  Others work just
fine.  The ones which blow chunks are >defective<; we have many of them
which don't exhibit the problem, and we have sold a ton of the things.

A few have had trouble, yes.  Those we cheerfully replace, and send back to
the distributor!