[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SuperVGA mouse drivers

minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) (02/07/90)

Does anyone know where I can find mouse drivers that work under SuperVGA
modes? I have one from Logitech that works in VGA mode, but once I
switch to 1024x768 the mouse pointer disappears.

Michael

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb7.045849.5891@Neon.Stanford.EDU> minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find mouse drivers that work under SuperVGA
>modes? I have one from Logitech that works in VGA mode, but once I
>switch to 1024x768 the mouse pointer disappears.

The problem is that no two VGA manufacturers use the same method of
'page swapping', which is necessary for most of the enhanced VGA
modes.  The mouse drivers need to know how to do this to draw in
(and erase) the mouse cursor, one alternative is to come out
with many different mouse drivers (yuck!).  Another is to punt
and rely on the applications themselves (or the graphics library
they use) to handle it for them.

I know, I have to do this very thing.  I wish there was a way to tell
the Microsoft Mouse interface that 'Here is the routine to call to
update the mouse position' or some such.  That would have made the
job so much easier!

--

Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil

"If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."