[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to contact the system-manager of an FTP site??

photon@max.u.washington.edu (02/07/90)

No room seem quite adaquate to ask this question, but I think this room
come close.....

Does anyone know how to get intouch with the "ownwer"/"manager" of
an FTP site? When you access an FTP site, you can only do things
related to file transfer, but what I can do if I would like to leave
a E-mail to the system-manager of that FTP site?

thanks in advance....

austin@bucsf.bu.edu (Austin H. Ziegler, III) (02/07/90)

photon> Does anyone know how to get intouch with the "ownwer"/"manager" of
photon> an FTP site? When you access an FTP site, you can only do things
photon> related to file transfer, but what I can do if I would like to leave
photon> a E-mail to the system-manager of that FTP site?

	 I can think of two possibilities:  email root@<site> or email
postmaster@<site> and either ask for the address of the manager of the
site, or to forward the message to the manager.  The latter (postmaster) is
far preferable to root, but I think either one could be done.

just my two bytes,
austin
| The surgeon general of the United States of America has determined that  |
| reading USENET turns your brain to jelly, leaving nothing to claim or to |
| disclaim. +--------------------------------------------------------------+
+-----------+ Austin Ziegler   austin@bucsf.bu.edu or austin@buengf.bu.edu |
| 700 Commonwealth Box 2094, Boston, Massachusetts  02215    BUENG '93     |

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (02/08/90)

In article <AUSTIN.90Feb6233106@bucsf.bu.edu> austin@bucsf.bu.edu (Austin H. Ziegler, III) writes:

>photon> Does anyone know how to get intouch with the "ownwer"/"manager" of
>photon> an FTP site? When you access an FTP site, you can only do things
>
>	 I can think of two possibilities:  email root@<site> or email
>postmaster@<site> and either ask for the address of the manager of the
>site, or to forward the message to the manager.  The latter (postmaster) is
>far preferable to root, but I think either one could be done.

I simply state here that on well-organized sites there is usually file(s)
that are meant as information of the site. They are usually called README
or something at this direction. This is what we do here in Vaasa, Finland.
This is better way also because usually user named 'root' is not "running"
that is maintaining ftp sites directories. And if you want to contact
these people who are "responsible" of the stuff that is available they
should be named somehow in these README files.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/08/90)

>photon> Does anyone know how to get intouch with the "ownwer"/"manager" of
>photon> an FTP site? When you access an FTP site, you can only do things
>photon> related to file transfer, but what I can do if I would like to leave
>photon> a E-mail to the system-manager of that FTP site?

One obvious possibility is to look for a readme (or a similar file).
They sometimes include information about the email addresses of the
site's system-manager or moderator.  You can also try using finger
for getting some information about a site, although this will not
work for all sites.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)