[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need help on PCs

dpunjabi@isis.UUCP (Dinesh Punjabi) (02/05/90)

I have recently purchased a 386/25 system via mail order.
The machine is supposed to contain 1 MB of main memory but when I run
Norton tests it just reports 640 KBytes. How do I verify that the
remaining memory exists in the PC and that it is being utilized by DOS ??

Also, can someone send me some info regarding Panasonic 1180 and
1124 dot matrix printers.  Any places where I can get good deals on
these printers ??

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/07/90)

In article <2865@isis.UUCP>, dpunjabi@isis.UUCP (Dinesh Punjabi) writes:

> I have recently purchased a 386/25 system via mail order.
> The machine is supposed to contain 1 MB of main memory but when I run
> Norton tests it just reports 640 KBytes. How do I verify that the
> remaining memory exists in the PC and that it is being utilized by DOS ??

I would take the cover off the machine and take a peek inside to see
how much memory is in the machine.  Chances are that you have 1 meg and
the 384K between 640 and 1024 are reserved for caching and such.

When the machine boots - how much memory is displayed on the screen?

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/07/90)

In article <2865@isis.UUCP> dpunjabi@isis.UUCP (Dinesh Punjabi) writes:
$I have recently purchased a 386/25 system via mail order.
$The machine is supposed to contain 1 MB of main memory but when I run
$Norton tests it just reports 640 KBytes. How do I verify that the
$remaining memory exists in the PC and that it is being utilized by DOS ??

   If you really want to check to see if DOS is using more than 640K,
try CHKDSK.  But you'll find it isn't.  Virtually no machines these
days give you more than 640K for DOS - in fact, if you're using VGA,
there's no way you can get more than 640K contiguous memory.

   Your other 384K may be used for BIOS shadowing, or it may be present
just above the 1M boundary.  I take it the manual is useless and doesn't
tell you anything, so try experimenting - try to configure RAMDRIVE.SYS
or VDISK.SYS to use some extended memory and see if it works.  Or try
to use one of the EMS emulators for the 386 and see if it works.  Be
creative.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (02/08/90)

Configure in a disk cacheing program or something that uses it,
and see if can grab the allocated memory.

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (02/08/90)

> The machine is supposed to contain 1 MB of main memory but when I run
> Norton tests it just reports 640 KBytes. How do I verify that the

  If your motherboard is like my Micronics, the 384k is used for shadowing
the bios, video memory etc. and is inaccessible by DOS unless you use an
expanded memory manager.  Once you use the expanded memory manager you can
map the spare memory (those blocks that aren't being used for shadowing etc.)
into your expanded memory map and utilize them for other applications.

Ken