[comp.sys.ibm.pc] memory driver

pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/03/90)

I have an IBM PS2 70 and 80, 386 16 mhz...with 2 meg each of
extended memory.  I got some IBM software that requires ems memory,
but they provided no driver (i.e. let extended look like expanded
then let expanded look like whatever).

Does anyone know of a pd or $< package that will turn extended into
expanded and provide an EMS 4.0 interface?

/*------------Thanks in advance...---------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies   INET  pcb@gator.cacs.sl.edu     |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana                                   |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

bmh@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Brian M Hoffman) (02/07/90)

In article <862@gator.usl.edu> pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>I have an IBM PS2 70 and 80, 386 16 mhz...with 2 meg each of
>extended memory.  I got some IBM software that requires ems memory,
>but they provided no driver (i.e. let extended look like expanded
>then let expanded look like whatever).
>
>Does anyone know of a pd or $< package that will turn extended into
>expanded and provide an EMS 4.0 interface?

The best way to do this is to get a commercial software EMS driver.  Two good
packages are 386 to the Max and Qemm.  Both of these will convert your extended
memory into expanded memory.  I use Qemm regularly and have no problems.

I have heard that the IBM ems drivers are not very good, so I would stay away
from them.

Brian

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (02/08/90)

In article <2825@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> bmh@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Brian M Hoffman) writes:
>In article <862@gator.usl.edu> pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a pd or $< package that will turn extended into
>>expanded and provide an EMS 4.0 interface?

>The best way to do this is to get a commercial software EMS driver.  Two good
>packages are 386 to the Max and Qemm.  Both of these will convert your extended
>memory into expanded memory.  I use Qemm regularly and have no problems.

>I have heard that the IBM ems drivers are not very good, so I would stay away
>from them.

I'll testify to the awfulness of the EMS driver IBM provides with DOS 4.0.
I could not get it to work reliably with a number of commercial
applications. Its option syntax is also incredibly bad.

I would also advise you to stay away from Above Disc. Among other problems
it proved to be extremely slow and completely locked up when I tried it
with Quattro Pro.

On the other hand, I too highly recommend QEMM-386. I am eagerly awaiting
the latest version with Manifest...todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

louk@tslwat.UUCP (Lou Kates) (02/08/90)

In article <2825@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> bmh@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Brian M Hoffman) writes:
>In article <862@gator.usl.edu> pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a pd or $< package that will turn extended into
>>expanded and provide an EMS 4.0 interface?
>
>The best way to do this is to get a commercial software EMS driver.  Two good
>packages are 386 to the Max and Qemm.  Both of these will convert your extended
>memory into expanded memory.  I use Qemm regularly and have no problems.

We have tried 386-to-the-Max and QEMM and 386-to-the-Max is
significantly easier to use since it can figure out alot that you have to
tell QEMM via command line items.   In particular we were never able to figure
out how to get QEMM to work on a DELL 386 laptop (it may work but we could not
figure it out.  We have used QEMM successfully on other machines) whereas
we had no problem with 386-to-the-Max.