[comp.sys.ibm.pc] unarchiving tar archives

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb7.134807.3314@diku.dk> terra@diku.dk (Morten Welinder) writes:
>Your turn: How do I uncompress a .tar file? (With tar I get an error
>telling me that no tape is mounted; I know that!)

Tar uses the default device (usually a tape) if the `f' option is not
specified.  Use ``tar xf file.tar'' to extract all the files in the
archive file.tar or you can specify the names of the files that you want
after the archive name on the command line.  Use ``tar xvf file.tar'' if
you want verbose output.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy