[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Math chips and CAD was: recommendations wanted

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/06/90)

In article <25c86533:4479.2comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:
>will say an 80386 (25 mhz) without a coprocessor, is STILL faster by far
>than the 8088/8087 combination.  Moral: get a fast 80286 or 80386, and
>possibly save the cost of buying a math coprocessor.  Of course, it depends

I haven't done any precise comparisons, but I watched a friend run Generic
CADD 2.0 on his 8mhz luggable XT with a 4 mhz 8087, and then tried running
the same thing on a Premium/286 10 mhz with no math chip.  There was no
contest.  The XT won easily.  Now I have a 386/20, and I haven't had a chance
to do any comparisons.  I also have a math chip.  But I would be willing to
bet my money on the XT against a 386 with no math chip.

My 386 has the option of EITHER an 80287 at 8 mhz (costs under $200) or
an 80387 at 20mhz (big bucks).  Needless to say, I chose the '287, since
I am a poor student and not doing big time number cruching or lots of CAD.
The motherboard is an X'Golden.  I think some other motherboards give this
same option.  When buying a budget system it is definitely a point to consider
if you are going to be wanting a math chip.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/06/90)

In article <25ce13f4.5fd6@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
> In article <25c86533:4479.2comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:
>>will say an 80386 (25 mhz) without a coprocessor, is STILL faster by far
>>than the 8088/8087 combination.  Moral: get a fast 80286 or 80386, and
>>possibly save the cost of buying a math coprocessor.  Of course, it depends
>
> I haven't done any precise comparisons, but I watched a friend run Generic
> CADD 2.0 on his 8mhz luggable XT with a 4 mhz 8087, and then tried running
> the same thing on a Premium/286 10 mhz with no math chip.  There was no
> contest.  The XT won easily.  Now I have a 386/20, and I haven't had a chance
> to do any comparisons.  I also have a math chip.  But I would be willing to
> bet my money on the XT against a 386 with no math chip.

We did some timings on computationally intensive programs, with relatively
little I/O,  on three machines: 1) my 286 with an 8mHz math chip, 2) a
grad student's machine, a 386, 25 mHz, with cache, no math chip, 3) the
department's 386, 20 mHz, no cache, with a 387 chip (20mHz).  (BTW, all
machines have disk drives running at 28ms, but as I said, the programs
involved relatively little I/O).  The 286/287 combination "timed in"
at about the same (perhaps 10% slower) as the 386/cache/no chip
configuration.  The 387/no cache/math chip configuration was 4-5 times
faster.  I understand that the Intel 387 chip is considerably faster than
the 287 chip (even if we control for speed differences).  This seems to
bear this out.  I have no timings on a 386sx-387sx combination, but
I understand the 387sx chip is considerably faster than an equivalent
287 chip.  [This implies that while a 16mHz 386sx machine may not be
that much faster for most operations than a plain vanilla 12mHz 286,
and perhaps even a bit slower than a 16mHz 286, if it has a 387sx chip
it should be *much* faster than a 286-287 -- perhaps other newsgroup
contributors might care to comment on this].
Douglas Baer, Assoc. Prof., Dept. of Sociology,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX
Telephone: [home] (519)-657-4799 *most reliable number
           [office] (519)-661-3859
           [leave messages, M-F 9-4pm EST] (519)-661-3606

boyd@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Bill Boyd) (02/07/90)

About doing math-intensive operations with and without a coprocessor:

I adapted a program for displaying the Mandelbrot set from an old issue
of Turbo Technix.  It would take 20 minutes to run on my XT with 8087.
I bought a 16-MHz 80386SX machine without a math coprocessor.  It took
53 (!) minutes to run the same program!  I bought an 80387SX, and now
it takes 3 minutes to complete.

I say the math coprocessor makes a HUGE difference if the program is
math-intensive enough!

Bill Boyd

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (02/07/90)

In article <4911.25ce0291@uwovax.uwo.ca>, baer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
[...]

The 387sx is rumored to be pretty much a 387 with a 16-bit inteface glued
on.  The IIT 287 is essentially that (just a FAST 387 with a 16-bit interface
-- ok, so it's just 10% faster ;^).  So they still sit about even so long
as you run DOS code.  What's more, the IIT chip seems to be a bit cheaper
when you can find it.

:: Douglas Baer, Assoc. Prof., Dept. of Sociology,
:: University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2

Charles Marslett
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us

sbnicol@rose.waterloo.edu (Scott Nicol) (02/08/90)

In article <8370003@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM> boyd@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Bill Boyd) writes:
>About doing math-intensive operations with and without a coprocessor:
>
>I adapted a program for displaying the Mandelbrot set from an old issue
>of Turbo Technix.  It would take 20 minutes to run on my XT with 8087.
>I bought a 16-MHz 80386SX machine without a math coprocessor.  It took
>53 (!) minutes to run the same program!  I bought an 80387SX, and now
>it takes 3 minutes to complete.

  About five years ago, as a school project, a friend and I wrote a program
that accepted a function in three variables (x, y, and z), and plotted a
(accurate) 3D plot of the function.  The machine we were using was a
(brand new at the time) Compaq Deskpro (8 Mhz 8086), with an 8 Mhz 8087.
Using an inefficient C compiler (C86), the program could plot a reasonably
complex function in a minute.  without the coprocessor, we estimated it
would take 2 hours (we didn't run it for 2 hours, we ran it for 5 minutes
and estimated how far along it was).
   Last year, I discovered the source code lying around on one of my old
disks.  I ported it to Turbo C (2.0), and compiled it (with 286 code
generation) on an IBM PS/2 model 70 (25Mhz 8.  The
same function that took a minute on my old Deskpro took about 10 minutes
on the 386.  After that, I took the program to a 33Mhz Compaq Deskpro
(with a coprocessor and a real fancy EGA), it took less than 5 seconds.

   So, if software is numerically intensive, and if it is smart enough
to recognize the coprocessor, then it can make a huge difference.
Of course, if the program is I/O bound, the '387 will hardly make
a dent.

- Scott
Email: sbnicol@rose.waterloo.edu  -or- ...!uunet!watmath!rose!sbnicol
SlowMail: 546 FallingBrook Dr., Waterloo, Ont., Canada, N2L 4N4.
Phone: (519) 725-1980

besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) (02/09/90)

Since the issue of coprocessors is being brought up, I noticed in the latest
PC magazine some test of the Cyrix 25 Mhz 80387 replacement vs. the Intel part
were done.  They didn't find much of a speed increase for the price.  The increae
was about 15% for their Autocad benchmark.  The Cyrix is about twice the price
of the Intel part.  It is CMOS, so it will run cooler and probably last
longer.  I am curious to know what results people on the net have had with
the Cyrix or IIT replacement chips for the 80387.

						    Brent H. Besler