[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM PC music editor software

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (02/06/90)

IBM PC software which is to a musical score as a text editor is to a
document wanted.  No other capabilities (e.g. MIDI record or playback)
needed, just the ability to edit and print musical scores.  Freeware
or shareware preferred.  Anybody know of such a thing?

Thanks.

--
Richard J. Reiner              rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca
BITNET: rreiner@yorkvm1.bitnet (also rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca)

--

tmm@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough) (02/08/90)

In article <7272@yunexus.UUCP> rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) writes:

>IBM PC software which is to a musical score as a text editor is to a
>document wanted.  No other capabilities (e.g. MIDI record or playback)
>needed, just the ability to edit and print musical scores.  Freeware
>or shareware preferred.  Anybody know of such a thing?

 I too would be greatly interested in any leads to the above mentioned sort
of software!

                -Tim
Hewlett Packard - SDD                                    Timothy M. McDonough
16399 W. Bernardo Drive                                  1350 N. Esc. Blvd. #40
San Diego, CA 92127          tmm@hp-sdd.sdd.hp.com       Escondido, CA 92026
(619) 592-8657            uunet!hp-sdd.sdd.hp.com!tmm    (619) 489-7863

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (02/08/90)

In article <7272@yunexus.UUCP> rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) writes:

>IBM PC software which is to a musical score as a text editor is to a
>document wanted.  No other capabilities (e.g. MIDI record or playback)
>needed, just the ability to edit and print musical scores.  Freeware
>or shareware preferred.  Anybody know of such a thing?

Well, you might try Music Studio by Activision.  Oh, there's also some
player-piano type freeware on Simtel20, pd1:<msdos.music> I think.  Of
course, without MIDI things are going to sound really pitiful...

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (02/09/90)

An excellent piece of software with no MIDI capabilities is Dr. T's
Copyist for the PC.  It lets you define your own symbols, and it is
basically exactly what was described -- a word processor for music.
It also has the added benefit of being able to read MIDI files from
sequencers and other such products.  It can output to dot matrix
printers in various resolutions (IBM Proprinter/Epson FX-xx are all it
supports, I thing), HP LaserJetII (not the plus, the fonts are too
complicated I think) or Postscript, Encapsulated posctscript, and that
about does it.   I've seen the postscript output and it's gorgeous.

The product is pretty flexible -- my standard method of printing
scores is to write the music in my sequencer (Sequencer Plus MKII from
Voyetra) and export a file into Copyist-- then I tweak it up, etc.

Hope that's helpful to you.

~~~Steve

--
/*************************************************
 *

robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Bob Robison) (02/09/90)

In article <abrams.90Feb8115606@cs.columbia.edu> abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) writes:

>An excellent piece of software with no MIDI capabilities is Dr. T's
>Copyist for the PC.  It lets you define your own symbols, and it is
[ ... ]
>The product is pretty flexible -- my standard method of printing
>scores is to write the music in my sequencer (Sequencer Plus MKII from
>Voyetra) and export a file into Copyist-- then I tweak it up, etc.

Sounds interesting, but who IS Dr. T, and where does one find this package?
Is it shareware?  If not, how expensive is it, etc?

--
Bob Robison	- Southwest Research Institute, Electromagnetics Div.
robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu