[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 and 386SX...what is the difference?

scott@max.u.washington.edu (02/07/90)

Hi,
I don't know whether this question has been asked before....
but just for those who missed the answer....

What is the difference between a 386 system and a 386SX system?
Given the same configuration in terms of harware, which is the
superior system?

Thanks
Scott.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/07/90)

In article <13214.25cec56f@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>What is the difference between a 386 system and a 386SX system?
>Given the same configuration in terms of harware, which is the
>superior system?

It's time for a monthly frequently asked questions posting!!!!  Where were
you yesterday when this question was asked, and answered!!!!

There is no difference between a 386DX and a 386SX except speed.  386SXs are
only available in 16mhz parts right now.  A 16mhz 386DX will be marginally
faster than a 386SX because of the difference in the bus architecture.
An SX must go to the memory bus twice to get a 32bit word, while the DX
need only go once.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

david@jdyx.UUCP (David Mandell) (02/07/90)

scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>Hi,
>I don't know whether this question has been asked before....
>but just for those who missed the answer....
>
>What is the difference between a 386 system and a 386SX system?
>Given the same configuration in terms of harware, which is the
>superior system?
>
>Thanks
>Scott.

The REAL difference is that the 386SX uses a 16-bit data bus, whereas
the 386DX (more commonly known as plain old 386) uses a 32-bit data bus.
This means that memory accesses are slower.  So the system is slower.

BUT, the 386SX is CHEAPER than a comparable 386 machine.  Why not just get
a 286?  The reason is that the 386SX contains the complete 386 instruction
set ... so you will be able to run (mostly future) programs that make use
of this instruction set (including a flat addressing mode).  You could
think of the 386SX Vs. 386 as an 8088 Vs. 8086.  Can do the same stuff,
just slower.

So ... if you can afford it get a 386 system.  If not, get a 386SX.

David G. Mandell			david@jdyx.UUCP
PLANNET CRAFTERS			CompuServe:  73040,334
"Just place your order ...		BIX:  davidmandell
 and wait a billion years
David G. Mandell			Internet:
PLANNET CRAFTERS			CompuServe:  73040,334
"Just place your order ...		Genie:	     ...

plb@dcdwest.UUCP (Phil Blais) (02/08/90)

In article <2757@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
> In article <13214.25cec56f@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> >What is the difference between a 386 system and a 386SX system?
> >Given the same configuration in terms of harware, which is the
> >superior system?
>
> It's time for a monthly frequently asked questions posting!!!!  Where were
> you yesterday when this question was asked, and answered!!!!

This kind of comment is pure garbage and totally unecessary. Scott posted
a very legitimate question and the fact that the same question/answer
was posted one day or one year ago is totally irrelevant. As I'm
sure everyone is aware network postings are often out of sync and
occasionally lost entirely. In addition, new readers are constantly
subscribing to and reading this group. I'd say you owe the gentleman
an apology.

phil blais	<dcdwest!plb@ucsd.edu>

rr@pika.mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) (02/08/90)

The real difference is: a 386 SX has a 24 bit address path and a 16 bit data
path. This allows it to address 24 MB and plug into existing '286-like'
boards. Its I/O is very similar if not identical to the 286.

The 386 DX of course has a 32 bit address and 32 bit data path. This gives
addressability over 4 GB of memory.

The speed differences between a 386 DX and 386 SX at the same frequency
are all attributable to the multiple memory and I/O bus accesses.

Robert Rodriguez
rr@mips.com
hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to workstations I go.....

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (02/08/90)

In article <35642@mips.mips.COM> rr@pika.mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) writes:
>The real difference is: a 386 SX has a 24 bit address path and a 16 bit data
>path. This allows it to address 24 MB and plug into existing '286-like'
>boards. Its I/O is very similar if not identical to the 286.
>The speed differences between a 386 DX and 386 SX at the same frequency
>are all attributable to the multiple memory and I/O bus accesses.

About half of that is accurate.  The SX has a 32 bit address path, not 24.
It can access 4 gigs, just like the 386 -- the ONLY difference is the bus.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/08/90)

In article <13214.25cec56f@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
$Hi,
$I don't know whether this question has been asked before....
$but just for those who missed the answer....
$What is the difference between a 386 system and a 386SX system?
$Given the same configuration in terms of harware, which is the
$superior system?

   Yes, this question gets asked every week or two ... in fact, it was
just asked a couple of days ago.  We really need a group like
comp.sys.ibm.pc.questions.everybody.asks.every.two.days for questions
like "Is a 386SX a 386 or a 286" and "what's the difference between
extended and expanded and EMS and conventional memory".  End of
editorial.

   Anyway, the 386SX is the same chip as the 386DX except that the
SX has a 16-bit external data bus, while the DX has a 32-bit external
data bus.  Internally, they're the same and will run all of the same
programs.  But since the SX has a smaller data bus, it takes longer
to transfer the same amount of information between itself and memory,
so the DX is the more powerful machine.  Also the DX is available
up to 33 MHz, while the SX is only available to 16 MHz, and throughput
on disk drives will also be much better on a DX-based system since
the disk controller will be 32 bits instead of 16.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/09/90)

In article <565@dcdwest.UUCP> plb@dcdwest.UUCP (Phil Blais) writes:
>In article <2757@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>> In article <13214.25cec56f@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>> >What is the difference between a 386 system and a 386SX system?
>> >Given the same configuration in terms of harware, which is the
>> >superior system?
>>
>> It's time for a monthly frequently asked questions posting!!!!  Where were
>> you yesterday when this question was asked, and answered!!!!
>>
>This kind of comment is pure garbage and totally unecessary. Scott posted
>a very legitimate question and the fact that the same question/answer
>was posted one day or one year ago is totally irrelevant. As I'm
>sure everyone is aware network postings are often out of sync and
>occasionally lost entirely. In addition, new readers are constantly
>subscribing to and reading this group. I'd say you owe the gentleman
>an apology.

Au contraire, mon ami. The question is asked almost every day and anyone
who read the group for any length of time would have seen it.  I too get
tired of people jumping into a newsgroup to ask a question then disappearing
after they have the answer.  This isn't someone's personal resource.  It
is supposed to be a forum for the exchange of ideas.  If someone wants to
get the benefit of the net then they should stick around and try to
participate.

The guidelines state that one shouldn't post till one has watched the group
for a few weeks.  The original poster obviously didn't do that and Kaleb
Keithly was correct in his complaint.  I think you owe him an apology.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.