[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 < -- > 386SX?

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (02/05/90)

I've been reading ads lately which say "..if you want 386 performance at
at 286 price, get our whiz-bang 386SX computer..."

I understand that a 386SX  has some of the functionality of a 80386.
Will it run, for example, multi-tasking OS like Microport Unix?
Will it run OS/2 ? What can a 386 do that a 386SX can't?

Thanks for your patience with this, I'm sure, much rehashed subject.

			Steven

--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/05/90)

>I understand that a 386SX  has some of the functionality of a 80386.
>Will it run, for example, multi-tasking OS like Microport Unix?

A 386SX will run Interactive Unix System V 3.2 (release 2.02) as well
as SCO Xenix '386 release 2.3.3 just fine.  Addressing the memory might slow
overall system response down - but it should (does) work.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay "lock-on" $ingh - Indy Studies) (02/05/90)

Along the same note, I am hoping someone can help me with several questions
relating to 386sx vs. 386dx architectures.

1. I have a DTK 386sx (ppm-1630 is the technical name) with 2 megs of 100
ns drams. ?) Are these memory chips the same as that used in 386dx chips?

2. I have looked at the DTK 33 Mhz system featured on page 333 (aprox.)
of the latest Byte, and it says that its 64K cache is capable of
maintaining zero-wait states with 100 nanosecond DRAMS. Since the
boards are made by the same people, could I use them if I decide to
move to 33 Mhz? It claims 8.17 MIPS. The fastest I have heard of is
the Mitac with a claimed 8.31 MIPS. Everex has 8.2.

3. Does anyone know of any 486 boards with 100 nsec DRAMS?

4. When I upgrade, that is, change mother boards, I would be getting
the same performance as building the system from scratch, right? By
this I mean simply buying a 33 Mhz DTK from a shop with the same
componentry I am using in my present machine.

Thanks so much. Please reply by e-mail so as not to waste net bandwidth,
unless you feel posting will benefit others. Oh yes, what experiences
(if any) have you had with DTK products? Good? Bad? So so?

--
$anjay "lock-on" $ingh      ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu

"A modern-day warrior, mean mean stride, today's Tom Sawyer, mean mean pride."
!being!mind!self!cogsci!AI!think!nerve!parallel!cybernetix!chaos!fractal!info!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/06/90)

In article <3533@uceng.UC.EDU> schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
>I understand that a 386SX  has some of the functionality of a 80386.
>Will it run, for example, multi-tasking OS like Microport Unix?
>Will it run OS/2 ? What can a 386 do that a 386SX can't?
>
>Thanks for your patience with this, I'm sure, much rehashed subject.

You're right, it has been rehashed over and over again.... Maybe this topic
ought to go in the monthly "frequently asked questions" posting.

A 386SX is 100% compatible with a 386DX.  NO ifs, ands, or buts!  I run OS/2
and ESIX 5.3.2.C, as well as DOS on my 386SX.  An SX is just slower than DX
because it only has a 16 bit data path, versus the DX 32 bit data path.
Therefore, all 32 bit memory accesses on the SX require two reads instead of
one.

Incedentally, by comparison, my friends 20mhz DX with 32k cache gets a 22
from Norton's SI, while my 16mhz SX (no cache) gets a 17.  The DX scores about
6500 dhrystones, while the SX rates at 5500.  Under ESIX, the DX runs around
5500 dhrystones, while the SX gets about 4000.  Under ESIX with gnu cc 1.36
the SX gets up to 5500 dhrystones.  Haven't tried gnu on the DX yet.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/07/90)

In article <3533@uceng.UC.EDU> schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
$I understand that a 386SX  has some of the functionality of a 80386.
$Will it run, for example, multi-tasking OS like Microport Unix?
$Will it run OS/2 ? What can a 386 do that a 386SX can't?

   A 386SX is a 386DX with a 16-bit data bus instead of a 32-bit one.
Other than that (and perhaps the occasional bug in the die) it's the
same processor, so it will run all the same software; the drawback is
that it will run a bit slower than a 16 MHz 386DX (how much slower
depends on what software you're running).

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

In article <959@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay "lock-on" $ingh - Indy Studies) writes:
$1. I have a DTK 386sx (ppm-1630 is the technical name) with 2 megs of 100
$ns drams. ?) Are these memory chips the same as that used in 386dx chips?

   There's no law that says "all 386DX systems have to use the same
RAM chips".  I'm sure if you look under the hood of 20 different 386DX
boxes, you'll find several different types of RAM chips used.  The most
common will be 1Mx1 DIPs or 1Mx9 SIMMs, with 80 ns or 100 ns access
times.

$2. I have looked at the DTK 33 Mhz system featured on page 333 (aprox.)
$of the latest Byte, and it says that its 64K cache is capable of
$maintaining zero-wait states with 100 nanosecond DRAMS. Since the
$boards are made by the same people, could I use them if I decide to
$move to 33 Mhz? It claims 8.17 MIPS. The fastest I have heard of is
$the Mitac with a claimed 8.31 MIPS. Everex has 8.2.

   Well, it can't maintain zero wait states ... I think the figure you
were looking at says that a 64K cache can eliminate 95% of memory accesses
to a 4M main memory.  Close, but not quite the same.

   As for using the same memory, you'd have to find out what DRAMs are
used on their 386DX board.  There are several different ways you could
populate a board with 100 ns DRAMs.

$4. When I upgrade, that is, change mother boards, I would be getting
$the same performance as building the system from scratch, right? By
$this I mean simply buying a 33 Mhz DTK from a shop with the same
$componentry I am using in my present machine.

   Well, you would get the same CPU performance.  Your disk drive, though,
would still be run with a 16-bit controller (unless you upgrade the
controller, too), so your disk performance would be no better, whereas if
you bought a brand new system it would have a 32-bit disk controller.

--

KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) (02/07/90)

>    Well, you would get the same CPU performance.  Your disk drive, though,
> would still be run with a 16-bit controller (unless you upgrade the
> controller, too), so your disk performance would be no better, whereas if
> you bought a brand new system it would have a 32-bit disk controller.

I am curious to know to who makes such 32 bit disk controllers. As far as I
know there is no industry standard on 32 bit slots in 386 clones.

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu
"77 cents on the $ of tax revenue comes for personal imcome tax and payroll
tax vs. 11 cents from corporate tax. Has the government become a tax collector
for her corporate patrons?"

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/08/90)

In article <25CF24C7.12406@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>   Well, you would get the same CPU performance.  Your disk drive, though,
>would still be run with a 16-bit controller (unless you upgrade the
>controller, too), so your disk performance would be no better, whereas if
>you bought a brand new system it would have a 32-bit disk controller.

Who's got 32 bit disk controllers?  Since most DX mother boards only come
with one 32 bit slot, would you want to use it for your disk controller?
Maybe you'd save it for a 486 plug in board, if and when they get all the
bugs out of the 486?  I don't think that most of the low end (price) units
are supplying 32 bit disk controllers; maybe Compaq and IBM are on their
$8000 systems, but who buys those, fools?  I wouldn't pay $8000 for a DTK
based 386.

Just my two cents worth!

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (02/09/90)

In article <2761@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

>Who's got 32 bit disk controllers?

The most recent issue of PC-magazine (Feb 13th) reviews a bunch of 33
MHz 386s, and one of them has a 32-bit disk controller sitting in its
32-bit slot... Not a standard though. On the other hand, Zenith has
just announced their ESIA caching controller on their 33E machine.

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon