[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multihead display for PC

  CCC has announced a new VGA card which supports two monitors on two
DB-15 ports, and up to four of the cards may be used in a single
machine, allowing eight displays on a system.

  The system supports graphics at 640x480x256 and 800x600x16, as well as
the usual text modes in 80 or 132 columns.

	Colorgraphic Communications Corp
	5388 New Peachtree Rd
	Atlanta GA 30366
	+1 404 455-3921

Disclamer: haven't tried it, just thought it answered the questions
about "can a PC have more than one display?"

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/08/90)

In article <2099@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>  CCC has announced a new VGA card which supports two monitors on two
>DB-15 ports, and up to four of the cards may be used in a single
>machine, allowing eight displays on a system.

I would like to suggest, for clarity, that we, in the industry, adopt the X
Windows definition of display, e.g.:
    display = screen(s) + keyboard + mouse,
    screen  = monitor(s) + adapter,
etc.

Thus, "multihead display" on a pc makes sense, but "eight displays" on a pc
doesn't, but "eight screens" on a pc would.

Note: this is not a flame, just a suggestion!!!!!

I hope this doesn't seem to picky.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

brothers@jetsun.WEITEK.COM (bill brothers) (02/10/90)

In article <2765@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>In article <2099@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>>  CCC has announced a new VGA card which supports two monitors on two
>>DB-15 ports, and up to four of the cards may be used in a single
>>machine, allowing eight displays on a system.
>
>I would like to suggest, for clarity, that we, in the industry, adopt the X
>Windows definition of display, e.g.:
>    display = screen(s) + keyboard + mouse,
>    screen  = monitor(s) + adapter,
>etc.
>
>Thus, "multihead display" on a pc makes sense, but "eight displays" on a pc
>doesn't, but "eight screens" on a pc would.
>Kaleb Keithley

Actually, you are somewhat incorrect. First, I would second your request
to adopt the X terminology. Second, there are several companies making
multi-display options (using X terminology). Two that come to mind
are SunRiver, and the AMI UnTerminal. These are being used in the UNIX
and DOS community to provide multiple EGA/VGA displays, keyboards, and
mice.

I have no connection with these companies and have never used their
products. Therefore, I can't say how well it works, but I have seen
them at trade shows, and they seem to do ok.

Bill
brothers@weitek.COM

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/10/90)

In article brothers@jetsun.WEITEK.COM (bill brothers) writes:
>In article kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>I would like to suggest, for clarity, that we, in the industry, adopt the X
>>Windows definition of display, e.g.:
>>    display = screen(s) + keyboard + mouse,
>>    screen  = monitor(s) + adapter,
>>etc.
>>
>>Thus, "multihead display" on a pc makes sense, but "eight displays" on a pc
>>doesn't, but "eight screens" on a pc would.
>
>Actually, you are somewhat incorrect. First, I would second your request
>to adopt the X terminology. Second, there are several companies making
>multi-display options (using X terminology). Two that come to mind

Actually, I am correct.  The O'Reilly Xlib Programming Manual, volume one
defines a display:
"...a display is defined as a workstation consisting of a keyboard, a pointing
device such as a mouse, and one or more screens.  Multiple screens can work
together, with mouse movement allowed to cross physical screen boundaries.  As
long as multiple screens are controlled by a single user with a single keyboard
and pointing device, they comprise only a single display."