[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PL/I for 386 or Sun Workstation

cjdb@tank.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (02/06/90)

Can someone recommend a PL/I compiler designed to run on an 80386
machine, or else under Sun's Unix? I'm specifically interested in
creating arrays larger than 64K.

Please respond by e-mail as I do not normally read this group. If this
has been discussed before, could someone summarize the discussion?

Thank you.--
Bitnet:			pmrcjdb@uchimvs1
Internet:	  cjdb@tank.uchicago.edu

besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) (02/09/90)

may not even be for sale anymore.  It also only produces "8088" code, in  that
the old DR compiler can't take advantage of protected more or the Microsoft
memeory models.  DR may have updated it.
					  Brent H. Besler

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (02/11/90)

In article <430@egrunix.UUCP>, besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes:
> may not even be for sale anymore.  It also only produces "8088" code, in  that
> the old DR compiler can't take advantage of protected more or the Microsoft
> memeory models.  DR may have updated it.
> 					  Brent H. Besler

The old Digital Research PL/I compiler is not to be recommended unless
you are really desperate.  It has numerous horrible bugs, doesn't
support anything but the small memory model, uses only the DOS 1.0
(FCB) file I/O calls, and uses a subroutine calling convention that
is incompatible with everything in the known world.

If you are _really_ masochistic and insist on using it, I can e-mail
the list of some of the bugs we've found with it.

Not to be recommended.

						Bruce C. Wright