[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Power Supplies

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (02/02/90)

Chewey's friend has a good point: what if there is a fire?  When I was
shopping for power supplies, I paid extra to get one that was UL and CSA
approved.  I don't know what the CSA approval was, but this supply cost $10
more than a supply that was not approved by ANYBODY.  Why did I do this?
I was connecting this $60 power supply (rather than the $50 unapproved
supply) to a motherboard that cost almost $1700.  Call me superstitious,
call me insecure,
               [but don't call me late for dinner]
                                                   but that's how I cam to
buy what I did. Peace of mind for a $2000 computer costs about $10. As
far as the power rating, it is slightly lower than the unapproved supplies.
My guess is the unapproved supplied exceed the rated specifications of the
components, or run too hot.  I don't believe in running things beyond
their manufacturers official ratings.

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (02/03/90)

In article <2853@isis.UUCP>, dpunjabi@isis.UUCP (Dinesh Punjabi) writes:
> Could anyone please explain the term "UL listed/certified" power supply
> for AT PCs ??

It's Underwriters Laboratories' safety approval certificate for the
materials used and the design of the supply.
Basically it assures you that it's about as safe as it can be made,
obtaining approval is expensive, this may be reflected in the price.

You pays your money and you takes your choice..

Dave E.

dean.milner@canremote.uucp (DEAN MILNER) (02/11/90)

UL is Underwriters Laboratories. CSA is the Canadian Standards
Association.

/*Dean*/

 * QNet 1.04a1:  MUI Sydney, NS (902) 564-5022     *NorthAmeriNet*