[comp.sys.ibm.pc] can Desqview have a Novell window using qemm.sys on a 386?

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) (02/02/90)

If you've succeeded in doing this, what's the secret?
--
-- my .signature is awaiting appropriate display technology --

davee@esfenn.UUCP (Dave Edick) (02/06/90)

No, you can't have a Novell window, but you use Novell with DV.  You have to
load the Netware shell before loading DV.  Doesn't work at all the other way
around.  Once you do that, you can either login before loading DV, or after
from a window.  In either case, you'll have the server available from all
windows.

regan@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Kenneth Regan) (02/07/90)

In article <530@esfenn.UUCP> davee@.UUCP (Dave Edick) writes:

>No, you can't have a Novell window, but you use Novell with DV.  You have to
>load the Netware shell before loading DV.  Doesn't work at all the other way
>around.  Once you do that, you can either login before loading DV, or after
>from a window.  In either case, you'll have the server available from all
>windows.

Here's what I'd like to do under DV'386 (with QEMM): set up a process which
will spool output from our Unix network (say a FrameMaker PostScript file from
someone's Sun), feed it into Ultrascript on my '386 AT-bus machine (8Mb RAM),
and print it on an HP LaserJet II connected via LPT1.  I'll be getting a
vanilla Ethernet card and a TCP/IP package for the '386.

Can this be done fairly painlessly, or should I seriously think about getting
a hardware PostScript board for the LJII and hooking it directly to the
network (with a PostScript Unix printcap)?

Thanks for any answers.  I made a similar query to comp.lang.postscript and
comp.text a month ago, but neither the replies nor a host of phone calls
has turned up a definitive answer for me to summarize.

Kenneth W. Regan           			Assistant Professor
Computer Science Dept.				(Opinions not < SUNYaB)
SUNY at Buffalo, 226 Bell Hall			Tel.: (716) 636-3189, -3180
Buffalo,  NY  14260				regan@cs.buffalo.edu

davee@esfenn.UUCP (Dave Edick) (02/12/90)

In article <17127@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> regan@castor.cs.Buffalo.EDU.UUCP (Kenneth Regan) writes:
>Here's what I'd like to do under DV'386 (with QEMM): set up a process which
>will spool output from our Unix network (say a FrameMaker PostScript file from
>someone's Sun), feed it into Ultrascript on my '386 AT-bus machine (8Mb RAM),
>and print it on an HP LaserJet II connected via LPT1.  I'll be getting a
>vanilla Ethernet card and a TCP/IP package for the '386.
>
>Can this be done fairly painlessly, or should I seriously think about getting
>a hardware PostScript board for the LJII and hooking it directly to the
>network (with a PostScript Unix printcap)?

Well, for one thing, you'll probably have a difficult time getting the TCP/IP
software to run properly with Novell.  They'll both fight over the Ethernet
board unless you're using packet drivers for the TCP/IP software.

Secondly, I don't know how well Ultrascript will work in processing network
print jobs.  I've never tried anything like this, but I'd suspect that it would
be pretty unreliable if it worked at all.  Painlessly?  Definitely not.
You'll undoubetedly have to put up a real fight to get all those packages to
work together.  Sorry....

I'd recommend something like the Pacific Data Postscript cartridge.  That
will make the LJII look like a real postscript printer to any machine.  Most of the postscript boards for the LJII plug into a PC slot and act as a parallel port to the PC.  Meaning you're stuck with hooking it up to the PC.  With the Pacific Data cartridge, you could plug the LJII straight into the Sun.