[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 256K card

mlbcheng@lion.waterloo.edu (Benjamin Cheng) (02/08/90)

Hello,

	 I bought a 256K card for my 640K XT, but my XT does not
recoginze the card. Can anyone tell me where can I get the driver
for the XT and the software for the memory such as cache, ramdisk,
etc.

Thanks.

Benjamin Cheng

m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) (02/09/90)

]	    I bought a 256K card for my 640K XT, but my XT does not
]   recoginze the card. Can anyone tell me where can I get the driver
]   for the XT and the software for the memory such as cache, ramdisk,
]   etc.
]
]   Thanks.
]
]   Benjamin Cheng
]

   I think you are out of luck with this one.  What kind of memory board
is this?  I'll bet its sole purpose is to bring an XT up to its max memory
size of 640K.  If that's the case, I think you just wasted your money.

   A friend of mine did a similar thing about 4 years ago - the card still
sits unused.  If anyone knows differently, there are at least two people
who would like to know how to access this memory.

lance@helios.ucsc.edu (Lance Bresee) (02/13/90)

In article <M1TDG00.90Feb9082930@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov> m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:

>]	    I bought a 256K card for my 640K XT, but my XT does not
>]   recoginze the card. Can anyone tell me where can I get the driver
>]   for the XT and the software for the memory such as cache, ramdisk,
>]   etc.
>
>   I think you are out of luck with this one.  What kind of memory board
>is this?  I'll bet its sole purpose is to bring an XT up to its max memory
>size of 640K.  If that's the case, I think you just wasted your money.
>
>   A friend of mine did a similar thing about 4 years ago - the card still
>sits unused.  If anyone knows differently, there are at least two people
>who would like to know how to access this memory.

There is an article in the latest issue  number 52 of microcornucopia
on how you can use some of these old type boards to put memory into
the unused d and e pages on an xt.  The author says he has software
to put tsr's into this region, and there are some programs which
trick the xt into thinking that it has more than 640k.  The software
is available from the author, or from microcornucopia.

I will post addresses, if you think this might be some help.

lance
lance%helios.ucsc.edu@ucscc.ucsc.edu