[comp.sys.ibm.pc] recommendations: HeadStart LX-CD?

kimes@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (02/10/90)

I do not presently own an MS-DOS machine, but my interest has
recently been aroused by a demonstration of the HeadStart LX-CD
with a built-in CD-ROM player.  I was wondering if I could get
some comments from regular PC users.  Does anyone have first hand
experience with this machine?  The package seems like a very cost
effective setup for a first time buyer.  I have a few questions for
anyone with any knowledge of the machine.

	1.  Can a 8087 math coprosessor be added easily? (it runs
            off a 8088-1 at 4.77/10MHz)
	2.  Is the CD-ROM a standard format?  (that is, could I
            buy the Boston Computer Society's CD-ROM with PC
            public domain and shareware programs on it and plug
            it into the HeadStart?)
        3.  What has been the repair record of HeadStart computers
            in general?  Are they a company to steer clear of?
	4.  Are there any other computers that come with a built-in
            CD-ROM player.

Either mail me or post here.  I am just starting to read this group,
so I will be able to see any future comments, although I have missed
any that has gone on before.

Thanks....

Kit Kimes
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
...!att!iwtsa!kimes

P.S.  Should I be directing this discussion to a different news group?

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) (02/13/90)

In referenced article, kimes@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:
>I do not presently own an MS-DOS machine, but my interest has
>recently been aroused by a demonstration of the HeadStart LX-CD
>with a built-in CD-ROM player.
>	1.  Can a 8087 math coprosessor be added easily? (it runs
>            off a 8088-1 at 4.77/10MHz)

Yes.  The 8088-1 is the 10Mhz verion of the CPU, and the corresponding
8087-1 coprocessor plugs directly into a socket on the motherboard.

>	2.  Is the CD-ROM a standard format?  (that is, could I
>            buy the Boston Computer Society's CD-ROM with PC
>            public domain and shareware programs on it and plug
>            it into the HeadStart?)

Yes.  The unit comes with a driver and MS's standard MSCDEX.EXE CD-ROM
extension.  Not only can you access all the standard stuff currently
published on CD-ROM, you can also listen to your favourite audio CD through
the supplied headphones!

>        3.  What has been the repair record of HeadStart computers
>            in general?  Are they a company to steer clear of?

I can't comment on previous HeadStart hardware, I've no experience with it,
however the LX-CD is the first HeadStart machine manufactured by Philips.

HeadStart was acquired by the North American Philips Corporation in 1989.
Initially a separate part of the organization, HeadStart machines will now
be sold and supported by Magnavox, the Consumer Electronics arm of Philips
in the US, so past history of HeadStart, good or bad, is no longer relevant.

The HeadStart LX-CD is a derivative of the Philips P9100 and P3100 series of
XT compatible machines, of which several hundred thousand have been sold in
Europe and have developed a good reputation.  The net will speak if this is
not so!!

>	4.  Are there any other computers that come with a built-in
>            CD-ROM player.

I believe Compaq, ALR, and Dell all have CD options available.  The LX-CD is
probably the only machine currently targeted specifically at this
configuration however.

HeadStart machines are noted for the large package of "valuable software"
they bundle with the machine at low cost (the real value to you of course
depends on whether you "need" all the software in the bundle, but the extra
cost is, in fact, very low, marketing hype aside).

The advantage in the case of the LX-CD is that the bundle with the basic
configuration contains a selection of CD-ROMS, and as such may prove to be a
much cheaper solution than buying them for an add-on option, if they happen
to coincide with what you want.  I haven't yet seen the commercial package
unfortunately so I cannot gauge just how good or bad a deal it is.

Disclaimer and *HYPE ALERT*:
	Not only am I *very* connected with the Philips company, but the
	Headstart LX-CD was developed and is manufactured in this facility,
	as are all PC's manufactured by Philips for Philips world wide sale.
	I am not, however, an official spokesperson, and the above is my
	view of the world, given for information purposes only.
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmtl.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray