[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Connecting VGA card to NEC Multisync monitor

nadkarni@ashok.dec.com (01/15/90)

I had posted a request for info about how to connect a VGA card to the
original NEC Multisync monitor. Thanks for all the replies. Since I also
received several requests for the information, I am posting it.

I got an 15pin high density male (connect to VGA) - DB9 female (connect to
Multisync cable) adapter from Connect-It (817-461-9400) for $7.95 + S&H.
I preferred this to a cable, both because it was cheaper and because my orignal
NEC cable has a little box at the monitor end (God know what it contains)
which none of the cables I saw had. So I preferred to use an adapter instead.
Worked like a champ. You have to remember to set the switch on the back of the
NEC to MANUAL ON and the analog/digital switch to ANALOG. This is very
important ! Also, you may have to adjust the vertical hold setting.

John Dudeck also sent the following useful info for those who want to
'roll their own'.

==============

The following is for an adaptor that accepts your existing cable that has a
male 9-pin connector, and connects to a 15-pin VGA card's female connector.

The connections are as follows:

Female DB9                   Male Hi-density DB15
     1 ------------------------ 1
     2 ------------------------ 2
     3 ------------------------ 3
     4 ------------------------ 13
     5 ------------------------ 14
     6 ------------------------ 10
                            --- 6

                            --- 11
The wire can be any ordinary hookup wire.  The parts all fit into a single
connector shell of a type that receives a connector at each end.

I mail-ordered the parts from Digi-Key (1-800-344-4539).
They are of the Tex-Techs brand.
Digi-Key part no.     Descr.
709F-ND               Female DB-9 connector shell for crimp pins
82S-ND                Crimp socket
815M-ND               Male hi-density DB-15 connector shell
85P-ND                Crimp pin
909P-ND               Type TT plastic shell (holds a connector on each end)
===================

Thanks to all who replied

/Ashok Nadkarni

scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer) (01/16/90)

Can somebody help me figure this setup out?  I have an origonal Msync and
a Paradise VGA Plus in my Compaq 386.  The problem is that the monitor in
digital mode doesn't read the horizontal sync line correctly (hence the
need to adjust the horizontal side in all modes) and it causes VGA modes
to be spread tall and EGA 640x350 mode to be short.  Its a mess and a
hassle.  My question is, does anybody know of a solution?  I talked to
NEC, and they said that a) it was thier fault, b) some additional hard
ware would be necessary, and c) they won't fix it, buy a Msync II.

So, does anybody know where I can find a way to fix this?

Scott Shaffer
Compaq Computer Corp.

(* These opinions are mine, and no one else's *)

nadkarni@ashok.dec.com (01/17/90)

In article <513@cpqhou.UUCP>, scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer) writes...

>Can somebody help me figure this setup out?  I have an origonal Msync and
>a Paradise VGA Plus in my Compaq 386.  The problem is that the monitor in
>digital mode doesn't read the horizontal sync line correctly (hence the
 ^^^^^^^

Why don't you buy the $7.95 adapter mentioned in the original posting and run
it in analog mode ?

/Ashok Nadkarni

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Strikemaster) (01/23/90)

nadkarni@ashok.dec.com writes:

>In article <513@cpqhou.UUCP>, scotts@cpqhou.UUCP (Scott Shaffer)
writes...

>>Can somebody help me figure this setup out?  I have an origonal Msync
and
>>a Paradise VGA Plus in my Compaq 386.  The problem is that the monitor
in
>>digital mode doesn't read the horizontal sync line correctly (hence the
> ^^^^^^^

>Why don't you buy the $7.95 adapter mentioned in the original posting
and run
>it in analog mode ?

>/Ashok Nadkarni

   The problem isn't in the analog or digital or any of the other
connections.  I had the same setup with the ATI VGA Wonder and the
Multisync I.  The Multi 1 cannot autosize, which is what the 2A, 3D and
the rest of the NEC line do.  You have to manually adjust the monitor for
each mode, which is the main reason why I went to the 3D, despite the
grave damage it did to my wallet for the next four months.

   Autosizing in the new NEC's means that the monitor senses what type
signal is coming in (800x600, 320x200, whatever) and automatically sets
it's horizontal sync signal to present the proper framing. The Multisync
doesn't have the necessary circuitry to do this.

--
 Tim Bowser  ("Strikemaster")  |  Standard  |  mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!strike
Enterprise Information System  | Disclaimer |  strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US

whelan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Jerry Whelan) (02/13/90)

This is likely to be a familiar sort of message, but here goes:

I've got a 386/25 w/ cache & 4 megs that don't like QEMM 4.2 nor
Windows/386 (2.01).  I've tried everything I could logically find
in the manuals, here is what happens.

Upon bootup, QEMM displays its message and then the machine freezes.
Windows/386 runs all windows apps ok, but as soon as I try running one of
the COMMANDx.PIF files, it dumps out to DOS.  Samething if I try double
clicking on a normal exe or com file.

So, this is pretty much a call for your secret tricks with both QEMM and
W/386 (I know I ought to upgrade to 2.1, but this is what I'm working
with right now).  Anything you know that is undocumented (even if it
isn't relevant) or is pretty neat about either of those programs, or
DESQview 2.24 for that matter, please share via e-mail.

Please e-mail, volume in this group is too much.
Please no messages about "Send me what you find out", I'LL SUMMARIZE.

Thank you very much.

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (02/14/90)

In article <6574@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> whelan@uhccux.UUCP (Jerry Whelan) writes:

>This is likely to be a familiar sort of message, but here goes:
>
>I've got a 386/25 w/ cache & 4 megs that don't like QEMM 4.2 nor
>Windows/386 (2.01).
>
>Windows/386 runs all windows apps ok, but as soon as I try running one of
>the COMMANDx.PIF files, it dumps out to DOS.  Samething if I try double
>clicking on a normal exe or com file.

Windows doesn't seem to like some video emulation modes. Try playing with
the CGA emulation switch on your VGA card (turning emulation off seems
to help). The "VGA" card that came on our Zenith Z-386 was crap and never
did work right with Windows/386.

tim