[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Opinion sought on HP Deskjet Plus

producer@wam.umd.edu (Winthrop D Chan) (02/06/90)

Hi:

Recently HP introduced a $150 rebate on DeskJet Plus, lowering the street price
to below $500.  In light of this very attractive pricing, I am thinking about
settling for the DeskJet, instead of saving enuf to get the LaserJet IIP. I
would like to hear from all of you who have used a DeskJet Plus about features
that you like or complaints.  In particular, I would like to know more about
these points:

1.	I understand that the ink on the Deskjet "smudges" when it is touched
	or when wet.  Has it ever happen to you, if so, is it a major problem?

2.	The availability of fonts for it.

3.	Is the slow speed a major aggrevation?  How slow is the graphics mode?

4.	Expecting the price of the IIP to be even lower when HP introduce the
	new generation of LaserJets, would you wait and get the IIP for a
	couple more hundred bucks?

Please send email to "lai_wy%ncsd@gte.com", as I am posting here with my
friend's account.  I will collect all email and post a summary. Thanks.

William Lai

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb5.225207.6913@wam.umd.edu>, producer@wam.umd.edu (Winthrop D Chan) writes:
> Hi:
>
> Recently HP introduced a $150 rebate on DeskJet Plus, lowering the street price
> to below $500.  In light of this very attractive pricing, I am thinking about
> settling for the DeskJet, instead of saving enuf to get the LaserJet IIP. I
> would like to hear from all of you who have used a DeskJet Plus about features
> that you like or complaints.  In particular, I would like to know more about
> these points:
>
> 1.	I understand that the ink on the Deskjet "smudges" when it is touched
> 	or when wet.  Has it ever happen to you, if so, is it a major problem?
 Yup. It smudges when you drop water on the paper.  I don't consider this
a major problem.  If you have access to a photocopier, you can always photocopy
documents and then throw out the original and keep the copy (which won't
smudge).  It depends on how frequently you expect to spill coffee over
documents (I'm usually in a position where I can simply run off another) or
how frequently you expect to be working with documents out in the rain, I
suppose.
> 2.	The availability of fonts for it.
   Certainly more limited than many laser printers, but not terrible.  I've
got their Tmm Roman font & it looks great.  Looks better than my department's
laser printer.   One thing, though -- OS/2 users should avoid the soft font
option and go for physical cartridges.   There may be less choice this way,
but the font download program provided by HP only runs under DOS and HP
has informed me by letter that it has "no plans" to provide a download
utility which will work under OS/2.  Downloading fonts takes time, and
I'd love to be able to do it in the background while I do something else
in the foreground.  Rats on both HP  (for not having an OS/2 utility)
and Microsoft (for the fact that the DOS compatibility box can't run
in the background).  Enough to make one want to go back to DOS/Desqview.
> 3.	Is the slow speed a major aggrevation?  How slow is the graphics mode?
    Well, it *is* slow, but what do you expect for $500?  This was the
big trade-off I was prepared to make for a $500 printer vs. a cheap laser
which at the time would have set me back $1300 (I'm not sure what the
IIP's current price is).  I suppose if you want a laser and have the bucks
for it, buy a laser.  But if you've barely got a bit more than the money
necessary to buy one of the pricier 24-pin printers, and if quality
overrides speed as one of your concerns, the Deskjet Plus is a good deal.
> 4.	Expecting the price of the IIP to be even lower when HP introduce the
> 	new generation of LaserJets, would you wait and get the IIP for a
> 	couple more hundred bucks?
    How much lower and how soon?  Perhaps the cost of buying a Deskjet+ now
plus the cost of buying an IIP in 1 - 1 1/2 years will equal the cost of
buying an IIP now.
> Please send email to "lai_wy%ncsd@gte.com", as I am posting here with my
> friend's account.  I will collect all email and post a summary. Thanks.
   I'm having trouble posting to your account.  Thought other people might
be interested in my comments anyway.
Douglas Baer, SSC,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX
Telephone: [office] (519)-661-3859

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (02/07/90)

Regarding DeskJet+.

I often hear people mention the DeskJet+ is slow relative to a laser printer.
Do remember that this is in regards to text printing, where the DeskJet+
is 2 pages per minute (with a tailwind) and laser printers start at
4 pages per minute.  However, the DeskJet+ is in general faster than
laser printers when printing graphics (about 1 page per minute for the
DeskJet+, often 1 page per 2 minutes for laser printers).  There are
some factors that confuse the issue here, but in general the DeskJet+
is fast in printing 300DPI graphics.  The main confusion is the existance
of certain software drivers that send graphics to the DeskJet+ in
ways that have no effect on laser printers (and in fact may speed up
the laser printers) but can greatly slow down the DeskJet+.  The main
culprit is drivers that try to "data compress" by continually changing
graphics margins.  When ever graphics margins change the DeskJet+ must
print out any graphics at the old margins, and then start storing graphics
at the new margins.  This results in printing graphics using only several
nozzles per pass.  If you see an application sending graphics DeskJet+
and the printer is not printing with all of its nozzles (about 1/6 of
an inch of graphics per pass), or if the application is not keeping
the printer printing all the time, call the software vendor.  The
DeskJet+ is not slow in graphics -- PC Magazine said it was the faster
graphics printer they tested, including all the laserprinters.

My personal opinion on the LaserJet IIP vs. DeskJet+ issue is:

1. Are you doing lots of text, especially greater than 50 pages per
day.  If so, the LaserJet IIP will probably make more sense.

2. Are you primarily printing 300 DPI graphics?  If so, the DeskJet+
will likely be faster and more cost effective.  Remember, the IIP will
require extra RAM to do a page of 300 DPI graphics, adding at least $200
to its cost.

3. Do you do lots of landscape text, and especially want proporitionally
spaced landscape characters and mixed text and graphics in landscape
mode (i.e. from Excel).  The LaserJet IIP is the winner in this category.
The landscape mode in the DeskJet+ is a fixed pitch text only landscape
mode, suitable for printing spreadsheets, but not much more.

4. Do you need to make transparencies?  The DeskJet+ can't do this.
Same thing with labels.  In general, the DeskJet+ only can do labels
and transparencies with the help of a copy machine :-).

The waterfastness issue is a negative on the DeskJet+, but I have
used the printer a lot, and it is really seldom a real problem.  Our
official line is "we are working on the problem", and this is definately
the case.

If you do low volume portrait oriented text, and/or a fair amount of
high resolution graphics, the DeskJet+ is a good little printer --
especially with the rebate.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

Disclaimer: I am speaking for myself.  Both the DeskJet+ and the LaserJet IIP
are good printers.  In either case the money goes to a good cause :-).

rick@NRC.COM (Rick Wagner) (02/08/90)

In article <21990005@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:
>Regarding DeskJet+.
>
>4. Do you need to make transparencies?  The DeskJet+ can't do this.
>Same thing with labels.  In general, the DeskJet+ only can do labels
>and transparencies with the help of a copy machine :-).

Actually, I have done labels on my DJ.  I use some label I got from
Price Club (Dennison I think), which work fine. They are 33 to a page
(2 2/3" x 1"; 3 accross, 11 down), and are just the right size for
3.5" disks.

Later I tried a different brand (Quill or Avery) of larger labels
(good size for 5.25" disks), and they smeared to no end.  I beleave
the difference is the ones that smear are for laser printers and "hot
process" copiers.  They seem to have a wax-like coating.  I haven't
seen anything on the box, but I assume then the ones that work are for
"cold process" copiers.

I recently saw and add for or a box of ink-jet transperancy film.  I
have know idea of how well, if at all these really work.

>The waterfastness issue is a negative on the DeskJet+, but I have
>used the printer a lot, and it is really seldom a real problem.  Our
>official line is "we are working on the problem", and this is definately
>the case.

The waterfastness problem can be worked around with spray on
"fixative".  You can find it at art stores or the art section of a
stationary store.  It won't protect your work from major spills, but
it should cut down on smearing from finger tips and high humidity.  I
have heard from sources that a water proof ink for the DJ is in the
works.

I have noticed the pakaging for the cartridges shows a color dot on
the box. I wonder if this is for consistency in packaging with other
HP printers, or could color be in our future?  I could see this done
one of two ways:

	1) A single color, you have to change cartridges to change
	color.  You could never have true color printing this way,
	but you could do "special" type things.  You could probably
	do multiple passes for multi-color, if the usage would not
	show off the mis-alignment between feeds.

	2) Since the jets are part of the cartridge, and under
	program control, it is conceivable that a mutli-color
	cartridge could be built.  This could allow for reasonable
	color.  Your cartridge life would be shorter, since you
	would have to throw it away as soon as the heaviest used
	color ran out.  (How about factory designed refillable
	cartridges, with HP supplied ink?  Yeah, I have read
	about refilling them using stationary-store ink, but I
	would prefer an HP soloution).

Just wishing I guess.

	--rick
Rick Wagner						Network Research Corp.
rick@nrc.com						2380 North Rose Ave.
(805) 485-2700	FAX: (805) 485-8204			Oxnard, CA 93030
Don't hate yourself in the morning; sleep til noon.

wg@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Bill Gieske) (02/08/90)

In article <4912.25ce0679@uwovax.uwo.ca>, baer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
> In article <1990Feb5.225207.6913@wam.umd.edu>, producer@wam.umd.edu (Winthrop D Chan) writes:
> > 1.	I understand that the ink on the Deskjet "smudges" when it is touched
> > 	or when wet.  Has it ever happen to you, if so, is it a major problem?
>  Yup. It smudges when you drop water on the paper.  I don't consider this
> a major problem.  If you have access to a photocopier, you can always photocopy
> documents and then throw out the original and keep the copy (which won't
> smudge).  It depends on how frequently you expect to spill coffee over
> documents (I'm usually in a position where I can simply run off another) or
> how frequently you expect to be working with documents out in the rain, I
> suppose.

It also smudges if your hands tend to be mildly damp or clammy.  Not much,
mind you, but enough to mar the crisp neat appearance rivaled only by a
laser printer.  In the summer, this is a real problem for me.  And with the
hummidity added in, this can be annoying.  If I could see my way clear to
upgrade to a personal laser printer, I'd go for it.  Thus, if I had to choose
between the DeskJet and IIP, I'd go for the latter.  I bought my DeskJet
thinking it, like my trusty C. Itoh 8510, would be around for years and years.
Given its ink smear problem, our relationship is not without missgivings.

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb5.225207.6913@wam.umd.edu>, producer@wam.umd.edu (Winthrop D Chan) writes:
> Recently HP introduced a $150 rebate on DeskJet Plus, lowering the street price
> to below $500.  In light of this very attractive pricing, I am thinking about
> settling for the DeskJet, instead of saving enuf to get the LaserJet IIP. I
> would like to hear from all of you who have used a DeskJet Plus about features
> that you like or complaints.  In particular, I would like to know more about
> these points:

I have only seen an add mentioning the rebate.  Does HP have a rebate
for all the printers including the IIP or is it only for the deskjet+?
What are the specifics of getting the rebate?

As for graphics speed, has anyone compared the 300DPI bitmap dump
speed of the IIP to the deskjet+.  I would assume the deskjet+ is
slower than 1 ppm, and the IIP is slower than its rated 4 ppm, but
what is the actual rate.  The reason I ask is that I am interested in
dumping Postscript graphics as produced by a package like Ultrascript,
and DVI files from TeX (which isn't quite fair as the deskjet dumps
them as 300 DPI bitmaps, but the IIP prints them using downloaded
fonts).

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (02/10/90)

Regarding DeskJet+ graphics speed compared to the LaserJet IIP:

I think for all practical purposes both the LaserJet IIP and the DeskJet+
will print graphics faster than most all applications can generate
the graphics.  I did a couple of quick times, and will report them
below.  Basically, the DeskJet+ prints graphics as it comes in and
the print mechanism is the bottleneck.  The LaserJet IIP reads in the
graphics then prints the page, so the IO is the bottleneck.  In general,
the DeskJet+ has faster IO than the LaserJet IIP.  This means the
IIP will be faster if data compression modes are used.  The more
data compression reduces the IO, the faster the LaserJet IIP will go.
I dumped some files to both printers and here were the times I got.
I used the Centronics IO in both cases.  The times are to print a
single page.  A 16 Mhz PC was used in both cases so that the IO
was not the real bottleneck.

			    DeskJet+                LaserJet IIP
Mode 0 (uncompressed)
graphics (921012 bytes)     80 seconds              134 seconds

Mode 2 (compressed)         75 seconds              67 seconds
graphics (202236 bytes)

So there is no clear cut answer here.  But I think you will find
most applications take much longer than 1 minute to generate a
page of 300 DPI graphics "on the fly", so for all practical
purposes the DeskJet+ and LaserJet IIP will typically give comparable
graphics performance.  Note that the above numbers are a bit
unfair comparisons for the LaserJet IIP, since I printed a
single page.  When I dumped the Mode 2 (compressed) file twice,
the second page was done 45 seconds after the first page on the
IIP.  For the DeskJet+, each subsequent page will take the same
amount of time as the first.  In other words, the LaserJet IIP
numbers above reflect the first page startup time of typical
laser printers.

My basic point is this:  Don't expect laser printers to outperform
the DeskJet+ when printing 300 DPI graphics.  Laser printers will also
generally need extra RAM to do 300 DPI graphics (although higher
priced printers may come with enough RAM standard).  Laser printers
will outperform the DeskJet+ in the area of text speed, but not graphics.

In my opinion, a major consideration of a laser printer versus a
DeskJet+ is the area of text printing volume.  The DeskJet+ is
rated at 50 pages per day.  If you generally print more than this
number of pages per day, your volume would suggest a laser printer
is more appropriate.  It also depends what you can afford.  But
if you print an average of 50 pages a day or less having your own
personal laser printer is probably overkill.  Of course, having a
laser printer is a status symbol too :-).  But graphics print speed
should not be a major consideration when comparing the printers.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

Disclaimer: I am totally biased.  My personal printers are a DeskWriter
with a Macintosh and a DeskJet+ with a MS-DOS PC.  Although I have
access to shared laser printers I seldom use them.

wg@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Bill Gieske) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb5.225207.6913@wam.umd.edu>, producer@wam.umd.edu (Winthrop D Chan) writes:
> Recently HP introduced a $150 rebate on DeskJet Plus, lowering the street price
> to below $500.

You want to clarify with HP where you must purchase the DeskJet to be eligible
for the rebate.  When I bought my DeskJet, HP had an offer where they would
give you $100 for an old printer, any condition.  I bought my DeskJet mail or-
der, obviously to get the best price.  HP did not consider the mail order house
to be an HP dealer, thus I was not eligible for the rebate.  Buying the printer
from an HP dealer would have cost almost twice the rebate, so mail order was
still the way to go.  The point here: don't get your heart set on the $150
without reading the fine print.

Bill Gieske
cbnewsm!wg

alexs@retix.retix.COM (Alex M. Stein) (02/14/90)

Bill Gieske (wg@cbnewsm.ATT.COM) writes:

>You want to clarify with HP where you must purchase the DeskJet to be eligible
>for the rebate.  When I bought my DeskJet, HP had an offer where they would
>give you $100 for an old printer, any condition.  I bought my DeskJet mail
>order, obviously to get the best price.
>HP did not consider the mail order house
>to be an HP dealer, thus I was not eligible for the rebate.

Call HP and ask them.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  I was.

I bought my DeskJet during the same promotion.  I asked the mail
order place about the rebate and they said to call HP.  HP
customer service told me that only authorized HP dealers had the
rebate forms you needed to fill out to get the rebate.  Only when
I asked if there was another way to get a rebate form did HP
offer to send one to me.  They further said that although they'd
"prefer" me to buy from an authorized dealer, they could not by
law require it.  So I got my discounted DeskJet, HP got my almost
functional dot-matrix printer, and I got the hundred bucks.

Of course, a month later HP introduced the DeskJet Plus at
approximately the price I paid for my DeskJet and the DeskJet
price plummeted way below what I paid (even figuring the rebate).

Alex Stein
alexs@retix.com