[comp.sys.ibm.pc] .1 archive format?

laba-1ee@e260-4g.berkeley.edu (Gary H. Aochi) (02/07/90)

Does anyone know what the following format means?

EMACS15E.ARC.2
	     ^

I know of arc, zip, tar, unix compress (Z), but what is that number?
Other files are of the form *.# or *.ARC.#
What is this?
Is it Unix or PC (the files are for use on a PC)?

They aren't ASCII text, I know that much...

Thanks,

Gary Aochi

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb6.185751.14120@agate.berkeley.edu>, laba-1ee@e260-4g.berkeley.edu (Gary H. Aochi) wrote:
}Does anyone know what the following format means?
}
}EMACS15E.ARC.2
}             ^
}
}I know of arc, zip, tar, unix compress (Z), but what is that number?
}Other files are of the form *.# or *.ARC.#
}What is this?

You can just ignore the .2.  This is a "generation number" which (usually)
indicates the number of times a file has been created.	The first time an
"EMACS15E.ARC" is created in a particular directory, it becomes *.1; the second
time, it becomes *.2, and so on.  I said "usually", because the generation
number can be explicitly set.  The PC-BLUE collection on SIMTEL20 uses
generation numbers of 1 and 2 to distinguish between ASCII and binary files.

What use is a generation number, you say?  Well, if you tell the OS to allow
multiple simultaneous generations, you can keep multiple versions of the same
file around.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

terra@diku.dk (Morten Welinder) (02/07/90)

laba-1ee@e260-4g.berkeley.edu (Gary H. Aochi) writes:

>Does anyone know what the following format means?

>EMACS15E.ARC.2
>	     ^

It is a 'file generation number'. Just ignore it and type
  tenex
  get EMACS15E.ARC

>I know of arc, zip, tar, unix compress ...

Your turn: How do I uncompress a .tar file? (With tar I get an error
telling me that no tape is mounted; I know that!)

terra@freja.diku.dk: Morten Welinder

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (02/08/90)

laba-1ee@e260-4g (Gary H. Aochi) writes:
>Does anyone know what the following format means?
>
>EMACS15E.ARC.2

Gary is talking about the files on SIMTEL20.  The operating system uses
"file generation numbers".  The first file by that name will have a .1,
the second a .2, etc.  Just ignore them.  You should always OMIT the
trailing "." and generation number when requesting a file.  That way you
are assured of getting the latest version.

To clarify: The index of all msdos files, SIMIBM.ARC, is frequently
updated.  Since the filename is always the same, you can tell when there
has been an update by watching the generation number.  If you always ask
for it as SIMIBM.ARC you will always get the latest version.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb6.185751.14120@agate.berkeley.edu> (Gary H. Aochi) writes:

>Does anyone know what the following format means?
>
>EMACS15E.ARC.2
>	      ^
>I know of arc, zip, tar, unix compress (Z), but what is that number?
>Other files are of the form *.# or *.ARC.#
>What is this?
>Is it Unix or PC (the files are for use on a PC)?
>
>They aren't ASCII text, I know that much...

The .2 extension is specific to DEC's Tops-20 operating system (I bet
you saw this on Simtel20, right?).  It keeps track of version numbers
for you -- this is the second time someone has placed the emacs15e.arc
file in that directory.

~~~Steve
--
 *