[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Changing system font on VGA monitor

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (02/04/90)

I've used the old EGA font programs that were published in PC Mag about 2
years ago , on my VGA.  Mainly they were different sizes by playing with
the number of scan lines, but there was an italic EGA font in the group.
Names were something like:  EGA12.COM , EGA25.COM , EGA43.COM,EGAITAL.COM

I haven't seen anything FREE for VGA yet, but will keep looking...

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (02/08/90)

In article <25cb3462:4557.1comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:
>I've used the old EGA font programs that were published in PC Mag about 2
>years ago , on my VGA.  Mainly they were different sizes by playing with
>the number of scan lines, but there was an italic EGA font in the group.
>Names were something like:  EGA12.COM , EGA25.COM , EGA43.COM,EGAITAL.COM
>
>I haven't seen anything FREE for VGA yet, but will keep looking...

There is a program on SIMTEL in pd1:<msdos.vga> called VFONT436.ARC, which
sets screen fonts on a VGA card.  It only supports its internal fonts,
though -- one modern font and one rather wierd one called Scrawl...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (02/08/90)

In article <25cb3462:4557.1comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:

>I haven't seen anything FREE for VGA yet, but will keep looking...

Ahh.. then you obviously have not yet downloaded BANANOID..

This is an incredibly good "breakout" style game that uses ONLY vga + mouse.

The documentation and title screen both clearly identify it as "FREE".
--
 ___Mark S. Lord_________________________ ______________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmers58!mlord          | These are only MY opinions.  |

gray@toffee.it.udel.edu (Scott Gray) (02/14/90)

There are several very nice programs to manipulate the VGA fonts.  The
one that I most familiar with is VFONT.  VFONT has a selection of two seperate
font included: a kind of playful scrawl and a "normal" font. VFONT is
memory resident and reinstalls itself everytime the video systems does a
mode change (i.e. when you try 'mode 80' it will not dissapear).  The
included fonts are much easier to read than the default IBM fonts, so I
have included it in my autoexec file.  As of yet, it has worked with all
major software packages that I have found.

VFONT is available on simtel (ftp site 26.2.0.74) in pd1:<msdos.vga>.
I think.  I can't check it right now because simtel is not letting me on.
If anyone needs a copy sent to them send me some mail at
    gray@freezer.it.udel.edu.

No matter where you go...there I am.|       Scott