[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anyone used the Seagate ST4144R 122 meg RLL?

lulu@ucrmath.ucr.edu (david lu) (02/08/90)

Hi.  Looking through the February issue of _Computer Shopper_,
I've seen a few places advertise a Seagate drive model ST4144R.
It's a full height, 122 meg RLL drive, for around $600.  I've
never heard of this drive before.  Anyone know if this is a new
product from Seagate?  Anyone care to share his/her experiences
with this drive?

I'm building my own 386 box right now, and am currently looking
for a large hard drive.  I was considering the ST296N with the
ST02 combination, but many people on the net seem to have
problems with that setup.  Is the 4144 more reliable?  It takes
up a full height slot, but otherwise, works out to be about the
same dollar per meg as the 296N (with controller).  How do their
speed compare?  I will be doing mostly program development, and
some multitasking (no multiuser).  Anyone got a recommendation?

You can reply either by post or email.  If there is enough
interest, I'll post a summary.

					- David

---==lulu@ucrmath==---  just another bewildered college undergraduate.

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself
at the ground and miss."
						- Hitchhiker's

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (02/13/90)

In article <3937@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:

>Hi.  Looking through the February issue of _Computer Shopper_,
>I've seen a few places advertise a Seagate drive model ST4144R.
>It's a full height, 122 meg RLL drive, for around $600.  I've
>never heard of this drive before.  Anyone know if this is a new
>product from Seagate?  Anyone care to share his/her experiences
>with this drive?
>
>I'm building my own 386 box right now, and am currently looking
>for a large hard drive.  I was considering the ST296N with the
>ST02 combination, but many people on the net seem to have
>problems with that setup.  Is the 4144 more reliable?  It takes
>up a full height slot, but otherwise, works out to be about the
>same dollar per meg as the 296N (with controller).  How do their
>speed compare?  I will be doing mostly program development, and
>some multitasking (no multiuser).  Anyone got a recommendation?

While working at Tandon Computers, we used alot of the 4144R with
the DTC RLL controller. Now in assembling my own machine I have
coupled a 4144R with the WD1006SRV2 and all works fine. I built
my own box also with the following:

	mylex  MWS-386-20Mhz with 4MB ram
	Paradise 16+ VGA
	NEC 2A monitor
	WD1006SRV2
	4144R 119Mb drive
	1.2 Mb TEAC drive
	commodity case, PS, keyboard

I would forget the ST02 combination. If you want SCSI use the
Adaptec AHA-1540A SCSI host adaptor, its got enough guts for
use on a 386 system. The ST02 is in my mind in the 8088/286 league.
The Adaptec is also supported by SCO UNIX.

There is also the WD7000FAST SCSI board, but I am not familiar with
it.

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogicse,uunet}!sequent!norsk
Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (02/14/90)

  The ST4144R is an RLL version of the ST4096. The reliability should be
about the same.
  A computer at work required a good going over with SpinRite before it
settled down.

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

>Item 8986 (1 resps) by lulu at ucrmath.ucr.edu on Tue 13 Feb 90 14:36
>[david lu]    Subject: Anyone used the Seagate ST4144R 122 meg RLL?
>(27 lines)
>

>Hi.  Looking through the February issue of _Computer Shopper_,
>I've seen a few places advertise a Seagate drive model ST4144R.
>It's a full height, 122 meg RLL drive, for around $600.  I've
>never heard of this drive before.  Anyone know if this is a new
>product from Seagate?  Anyone care to share his/her experiences
>with this drive?

Sure.  We have one in the machine called "ddsw1", which is where this post
comes from.  Working with a WD1006V/SR2 controller.  The drive itself was
>error free< when we got it, and remains so to this day.

I can't complain about it at all.  This is the fourth or fifth unit I've had
experience with, and all have been good solid performers.

You do need an RLL controller for it.  Get a good one (I recommend the
WD1006, although some people disagree with me on this one).

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]