[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Need a Mouse Driver for QuickBasic 4.0

risto@tuura.UUCP (Risto Lankinen) (02/14/90)

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>In article <&R7CB_@rpi.edu> med@pawl.rpi.edu (Marc T Edgar) writes:
><I am writing some Quick Basic routines on an IBM AT (clone) with Quick Basic
><4.0 and would like to add a mouse interface.  I know that it is a fairly
><striaght forward problem to do this but I have not found any books on
><quick basic that show how to do it.

>Check out a copy of the book "Microsoft Mouse Programmer's Reference".  It
>contains two diskettes that contain programs in the book.  Keep in mind
>that the mouse cannot be program directly from Basic.  Assembly language
>routines are needed and one of the files on the diskette is mouse.lib.
>Well worth the money.

If one has the MOUSE.LIB, it is possible to do mousing without having to
program in assembler.  Here's how it goes:

1. Un-lib the MOUSE.LIB:  C> LIB MOUSE *MOUSE *MOUSES;
2. Relink the MOUSE.QLB:  C> LINK/Q MOUSE+MOUSES,,,BQLB40.LIB;
3. Start QB (note '/L'):  C> QB /L MOUSE /H <other-options>
4. Create MOUSE.BI and '$INCLUDE it in the QuickBASIC program.
   The MOUSE.BI should read at least:

      DEFINT M
      DECLARE FUNCTION MOUSE(M1,M2,M3,M4)
      DEFwhatever M

   Now, in the program the MOUSE(aa,bb,cc,dd) can be called as any
   QuickBASIC function.  You still need the Mouse Prog.Ref. in order
   to know what to place in each variable before calling the MOUSE.

terveisin: Risto Lankinen