[comp.sys.ibm.pc] diff for binaries

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (02/14/90)

Does anyone know of an MSDOS program like diff, but for binaries?
I.e.  instead of being line oriented, it should report differences in
terms of byte offsets.  Ideally, the comparison should have parameters
to control the scan.

--Richard

--
Richard J. Reiner              rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca
BITNET: rreiner@yorkvm1.bitnet (also rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca)

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (02/14/90)

In article <7541@yunexus.UUCP>, rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) writes:
> Does anyone know of an MSDOS program like diff, but for binaries?
> I.e.  instead of being line oriented, it should report differences in
> terms of byte offsets.  Ideally, the comparison should have parameters
> to control the scan.

How about the MS-DOS program FC? I think all OEMs now supply it with DOS. The
/B switch does what you want. Also, a lot of vendors supply the old PC-DOS
COMP (that does the same thing).
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
*** NB *** Do NOT use the return path in the article header ***************