[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NuMega's Soft ICE questions

fayne@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeffrey Fayne) (02/07/90)

I seriously considering purchasing NuMega's 386 debugger, however
I have a few questions for anyone who has used this program:

	1) Is it as powerful as the ads make it out to be ?
	   I'm particularly interested in it's 'back trace'
	   capability (will it allow you to step backwards
           thru your code once a breakpoint is hit or will
	   it just show you how you got to the breakpoint?).

	2) I understand the program is codeview compatable,
	   therefore it should be TurboDebugger compatible
	   as well. True or false ?

	3) Talking to a sales type, he claims that there is
	   a beta version available that supports Plink86
	   symbol tables (however I believe he stated that just
	   the root is supported or is the beta version for the
	   overlays?) Is anyone using this beta version and if so
	   problems?  As an alternative, I understand that SoftIce
	   is compatable with .RTLINK/PLUS, any recommendations as
	   far as switching linkers?  I'm very happy with PLINK, but
	   if I find SoftIce 'invaluable', I may switch.

	4) Ideally, I would eventually like to run SoftIce under
	   VM/386 (multitasker), is this possible? If not why not
	   and will it run under any other multitasker?

Any observations would be greatly appreciated.

				Jeff

 F-14             |    _    |               |  Jeffrey M. Fayne
   Tomcat         |  /^ ^\  |               |  Tellabs, Inc.
      ____________|_(  .  )_|____________   |  Lisle, IL  (708)-512-7726
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--        |  fayne@tellab5.UUCP
              *       O O       *     fjs   |  Standard Disclaimer Applies

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (02/09/90)

Quoth fayne@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeffrey Fayne) (in <2078@tellab5.TELLABS.COM>):
#
#	1) Is it as powerful as the ads make it out to be ?
#	   I'm particularly interested in it's 'back trace'
#	   capability (will it allow you to step backwards
#           thru your code once a breakpoint is hit or will
#	   it just show you how you got to the breakpoint?).

I've been developing PC-NFS since 1985, and over that time I've
come to rely on three debugging tools: The Network General
Sniffer, IBM's PC-Watch, and SoftIce. Each is, in its own way, invaluable.

The back trace facility stores every instruction within the trace range
in the circular buffer. Whenever SoftIce gets control (via breakpoint,
exception, or hot-key) you can browse this buffer. Most of the work I
do is low-level assembler stuff (redirector, network driver, etc.), and
the most painful bugs are always blown stacks, segregs, etc. which
usually result in a return to a random address. Since Intel (in their
infinite wisdom) failed to make 00H the "halt" instruction (didn't we
learn ANYTHING in the 60s?), the back trace is the best way of nailing
things. It even works across reboots, so that I can trace through all
the DOS and driver startup code.

#[Questiona about TurboDebugger and PLINK)

No data. I use Microsoft Link, don't use overlays.

#	4) Ideally, I would eventually like to run SoftIce under
#	   VM/386 (multitasker), is this possible? If not why not
#	   and will it run under any other multitasker?

Almost certainly not. SoftIce takes over the 386 and runs your DOS
session in a virtual 8086, which will conflict with any other software
which wants to act as a hypervisor. For example, you can't run
Windows/386 with SoftIce. (As far as I know, no microprocessor has the
necessary hooks to run a fully recursive VM architecture - i.e.
running a 386 virtual machine under a hypervisor. In this respect we
still can't emulate VM/370. One day, maybe.)

Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)
-----------
News software that enforces a four-line .signature limit is responsible for
the fact that these postings just go on and on and on and seem to end in mid-

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (02/10/90)

In article <2078@tellab5.TELLABS.COM> fayne@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeffrey Fayne) writes:
>I seriously considering purchasing NuMega's 386 debugger, however
>I have a few questions for anyone who has used this program:
>
>	1) Is it as powerful as the ads make it out to be ?
>	   I'm particularly interested in it's 'back trace'
>	   capability

Yes on both counts.  It's not just a back trace, it gives you back trace
simulation, meaning you can see what the registers were at a given
instruction.  The back trace makes the program run slower, which may
preclude its use with some real-time systems.

>	2) I understand the program is codeview compatable,
>	   therefore it should be TurboDebugger compatible
>	   as well. True or false ?

You can probably use it with just about any debugger that is out there.
I prefer to use it standalone.  It can set breakpoints that ordinary
debuggers can't, like break if code in this area writes to memory in
that area.  You can tell it what you want it to do when it gets one of
these breakpoints.  If you tell it to do an int 3, which most debuggers
use for breakpoints, you can probably get it to work with just about
anything.  But you can do symbolic debugging without using anything
except Soft-Ice.

>	3) Talking to a sales type, he claims
>          [salesman's claims deleted @;-) ]
>	   any recommendations as
>	   far as switching linkers?  I'm very happy with PLINK, but
>	   if I find SoftIce 'invaluable', I may switch.

I've never had any reason to switch to a linker that I had to pay
extra for.  But whatever reason you have, I don't see how it could
convince you to live without Soft-Ice.  I won't.

>	4) Ideally, I would eventually like to run SoftIce under
>	   VM/386 (multitasker), is this possible? If not why not
>	   and will it run under any other multitasker?

I seriously doubt this is possible.  With any other multitasker, I'm
quite sure of it.  Soft-Ice gets its power from using the privileged
modes of the 386, taking advantage of all kinds of processor exceptions
caused by certain kinds of instructions and the memory protection
scheme.  This would conflict with any other program (i.e. OS) that
does the same.  Theoretically, VM is an operating system that can run
other operating systems by providing them with the illusion of a
virtual machine.  As implemented on the old IBM mainframes, any OS that
could run on the bare machine could be fooled into running under VM.
As to whether this principle has been successfully transferred to
the VM/386 implementation, I don't know, but I'd like to hear from
anyone who knows for sure.  I went to an ACM convention once where
a couple of guys gave a talk about why it was impossible to do on
the 386, and this may be one of the main reasons for the 486.

But hell, I've already told you more than I know.  @;-)

I'm not associated with Nu-Mega.  I think their name is silly, but I
wouldn't be without Soft-Ice.  I have used it in debugging a multitasking
kernel (real mode only) and I swear by it.  But standard disclaimers
still apply...

harper@convex.com (David Harper) (02/13/90)

In article <2078@tellab5.TELLABS.COM> fayne@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeffrey Fayne) writes:
>I seriously considering purchasing NuMega's 386 debugger, however
>I have a few questions for anyone who has used this program:

I have been following this discussion for several days now and find it quite
interesting.  Unfortunately, one thing that has not been mentioned is where
the program is available or how to get ahold of NuMega.  I looked all through
the lastest version of PC Magazine for an ad either from NuMega or someone
who might distribute it and came up empty.  Various other catalogs from
software distributers I have used in the past also didn't help.  Anybody
have any suggestions?

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (02/15/90)

In article <-1773786500@convex.convex.com> harper@convex.com (David Harper) writes:
|In article <2078@tellab5.TELLABS.COM> fayne@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeffrey Fayne) writes:
|>I seriously considering purchasing NuMega's 386 debugger, however
|>I have a few questions for anyone who has used this program:

|I have been following this discussion for several days now and find it quite
|interesting.  Unfortunately, one thing that has not been mentioned is where
|the program is available or how to get ahold of NuMega.  I looked all through
|the lastest version of PC Magazine for an ad either from NuMega or someone
|who might distribute it and came up empty.  Various other catalogs from
|software distributers I have used in the past also didn't help.  Anybody
|have any suggestions?

The latest issue of Micro Cornucopia has a full-page ad from Nu-Mega
on page 2; their address is listed as:

	Nu-Mega Technologies
	P.O. Box 7607
	Nashua, NH 03060-7607

The phone number listed is (603)888-2386.

 Sean Malloy                                  |
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center | "The morning was death
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                     | with birdsong."
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                        | -- _The Wizardry Compiled_