[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anyone have a screen-saver that does neat things?

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Feb9.135440.26011@cs.dal.ca> lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
>I'd like one of those pgms that blank the screen after "x" minutes
>of inactivity, but one which keeps a count of the time elapsed since
>the last activity (ie. how long the screen has been blanked plus "x").

I would like to find a screen saver that makes dancing patterns in graphics
like people have for their Macs (shudder :^).  It would be fine if it is
vga-specific.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) (02/10/90)

Does anyone know if there is a screen saver like the mac fireworks for the
pc??

	Steve Misrack
	steve@ucsd.edu

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (02/10/90)

In article <11641@ucsd.Edu> steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) writes:

>Does anyone know if there is a screen saver like the mac fireworks for the
>pc??
>
>	Steve Misrack
>	steve@ucsd.edu

The only one I've seen so far runs under Windows.  It's "fire42.arc" in
the mswindows directory on chyde.uwasa.fi.  I like it better than any
other screen saver I've seen, so much so that when I'm leaving my pc for
a while, I always start Windows up, just to have the screen saver avaliable.

Scott D. Coulter        Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: {most anywhere}!gatech!kong!scott         Internet: scott@kong.gatech.edu

"...and this is your brain on drugs over-easy with hashbrowns on the side."

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (02/12/90)

In article <11641@ucsd.Edu> steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) writes:

>Does anyone know if there is a screen saver like the mac fireworks for the
>pc??
>
>	Steve Misrack
>	steve@ucsd.edu

				i have a shareware program for Microsoft
Windows called Firework that is like you describe . it only works in
windows , but , of course , it supports any video card that windows does
. it's kind of a good complement because most screen savers don't work
within windows ...

				unfortunately , i have no idea how to
post ( or , for that matter use ) here ( hey -- i'm new to this ... ) .
i'll look into it and post the program if i ever manage to figure out
how ... 8^)=

							-a.stranger

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

larsen@mist.cs.orst.edu (Scott Larsen) (02/14/90)

Yes, I have one.  It's called explod and it runs under CGA (sorry herc users).
I can send it to whoever wants it.  Just send me some mail at the address
below...

-Scott Larsen
larsen@mist.cs.orst.edu                  UUCP: hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!larsen
"This town needs an Enema!"
		- The Joker

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (02/14/90)

In article <15817@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larsen@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:
>Yes, I have one.  It's called explod and it runs under CGA (sorry herc users).
>I can send it to whoever wants it.  Just send me some mail at the address
>below...

Explod does run on Hercules.  However, it is a graphics program rather than
a traditional screen saver which blanks the screen after a certain period of
inactivity.

larsen@mist.cs.orst.edu (Scott Larsen) (02/15/90)

In Article <22085@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao)
writes:

> Explod does run on Hercules.  However, it is a graphics program rather than
> a traditional screen saver which blanks the screen after a certain period of
> inactivity.

Ah yes, I forgot that it does run on Herc.

But the main point is that with a little creative programming, one san make
a screen saver out of the basic explod program.  Just write a c program
that execs explod after a given number of non-active seconds.

-Scott Larsen
larsen@cs.orst.edu                       UUCP: hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!larsen
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."
		- David Bowman