[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SpeedStor Problem with DTK 386/25

bouchard@sg1.chem.upenn.edu (Donald Bouchard) (02/13/90)

My PC has the following configuration:

1. DTK 386/25 Motherboard
2. WD-1003V-MM2 Controller
3. Maxtor XT-2190 (160 MB) drive.
4. VGA
5. MS-DOSE 3.30

I would like to be able to use the entire 160 MB.  If I use the DTK BIOS
to select the drive type and format the disk I can only use 130 MB broken
into 4 partitions.  I have successfully used the system in the 130 MB
configuration.

I have also tried to use software from two vendors, V feature Deluxe from
Golden Bow and SpeedStor from and Storage Dimensions.  I was unable
to boot the system using V feature and Golden Bow tech support, which
was helpful, could not help me enough.  I then turned to SpeedStor.
I could successfully boot the machine using the SpeedStor driver in
a 2Mb (dos partition) + 158Mb (speedstor partition) configuration,
but I have been unable to restore my files using FastBack without
disk space being mysteriously lost.

I am aware of the dangers of using larger partitions with pre 4.xx
versions of DOS.  My questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone worked out a similar solution?
2. Could the problem of non-working V Feature and inconsistent SpeedStor
   be manifested in DTK bios?

I would greatly appreciate hearing others solutions.

Donald Bouchard                         Internet:  bouchard@sg1.chem.upenn.edu
Department of Chemistry                 AT&T:      (215) 898 4886
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6323

"Would you like to know what I think of the IBM?", she asked.

"No ma'am, just the VAX".

infotech@rupert.misemi (Mike Sullivan) (02/14/90)

Sorry 'bout this but I can't resist....

In article <BOUCHARD.90Feb13092000@sg1.chem.upenn.edu> bouchard@sg1.chem.upenn.edu (Donald Bouchard) writes:
>My PC has the following configuration:
>
>1. DTK 386/25 Motherboard
>2. WD-1003V-MM2 Controller
>3. Maxtor XT-2190 (160 MB) drive.
>4. VGA
>5. MS-DOSE 3.30
_______^^^^__________

Is this the new version from Microsoft that includes its own virus???

Ross Bannerman              |  uunet!mitel!infotech
Mitel Corp.                 +---------------------------------------------------
KANATA, Ont. Canada         | Insert standard legalese here....

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/15/90)

I think your problem is more than DOS 3.3 partition size limits.
The disk you are using has more than 1024 cylinders and DOS (BIOS?)
can only handle 10 cylinder address bits. I thought speedstore
got around this problem somehow but I've never done it.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.