[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Recommendation for Printer and Mouse.

caseyng@cie.uoregon.edu (Kong Ng) (01/13/90)

Hi,
	I am a new owner for an IBM compatible (386).  I am looking for
	recommendation for printer and mouse.

	1.  Printer.  I am torn between getting a 24pin, or an inkjet.
	The inkjets (Canon Bubblejet, HP Deskjet) are nice, but they
	cost double than 24 pins. Also, I heard rumours about ink
	smearing on inkjet's output. Is that true?

	If I do get a 24 pin, I would appreciate some opinion, recommenda-
	tion on Epson, Citizen, Panasonic, NEC.  I have seen some
	quasi-Postscript software that claims to be able to emulate
	Postscript on 24-pins.  Anyone has experience with these?  I think
	one of iT is called GoScript.

	2.  Mouse.  I am not sure I should get the Microsoft mouse, or the
	Logitec mouse.  I am looking for specific pros and cons.  I like
	the higher 400 dpi resolution of the Microsoft, but I preferred the
	matt texture plastic of Logitec.  I am planning on running
	Window/386, if it matters.

	Does anyone know if I get the Microsoft's Window/286+mouse bundle,
	how much do I have to pay to upgrade to Window 386?

	Thanks for all your help.  I would appreciate e-mailing.

	casey

	ngkong@oregon.uoregon.edu

genet@hplsla.HP.COM (Gene Taylor) (01/18/90)

Printers:

In a recent PC Magazine they reviewed 109 printers ranging from one
end of the spectrum to the other in terms of performance and price.
They even talked about color printers!  You should check it out.

Yes, it is my understanding that (at present) the DeskJet ink is
water soluble.  I have also *heard* that HP is working on a permanent
ink for this printer.  If you would consider a DeskJet you may also
want to consider the new HP Series IIP, a very inexpensive laser
printer which just came out and should be selling for around $1000.
It is reviewed in the PC Magazine article mentioned above.

Mice:

I use logitec mice at work and at home and have been very pleased
with them.  I have used the Microsoft mouse several times and can't
say that I would not like it just as much if I used it on a regular
basis.  Microsoft supposedly put a lot of human factors research into
its design and it has won awards, etc. (I have friends at MS that are
really hot on it.)  I do think moving the roller ball forward toward
the fingers is better than having it at the back of the mouse under
the palm of the hand.

Bottom line:  I like the feel of what I am using.  I haven't found
much use for the third button and there may be more supporting
software for the Microsoft mouse, though.  If I had it to do over
I would seriously consider the MS mouse AND roller balls; maybe
they call them track balls.  They are like a mouse turned upside
down.  I haven't used one but I like the idea of having it sit
still and the fact that it doesn't require so much free space on
my desk.

Gene

jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (01/20/90)

The Logitech mouse driver is Microsoft compatible. It should work with
any software that works with the Microsoft mouse.

I've used both mice. Both are nice. I prefer Logitech, part for the
feel of it, and part for the menu generation stuff that comes with it
(which you have to buy, I believe, if you go with Microsoft). The Logitech
mouse is a tad less expensive.

kaya@hpsgrt1.HP.COM (Kaya TOTONG) (02/09/90)

>/ hpsgrt1:comp.sys.ibm.pc / jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) / 12:09 am  Jan 20, 1990 /
>The Logitech mouse driver is Microsoft compatible. It should work with
>any software that works with the Microsoft mouse.

>I've used both mice. Both are nice. I prefer Logitech, part for the
>feel of it, and part for the menu generation stuff that comes with it
>(which you have to buy, I believe, if you go with Microsoft). The Logitech
>mouse is a tad less expensive.
----------

There is now a THIRD mouse - The new HP Mouse with Mini-DIN Interface.
It's ergonomically designed, fully compatible with Microsoft Mouse and
..... Well, see it for yourself and let me know your feedbacks.

Kaya.

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (02/15/90)

In article <390002@hpsgrt1.HP.COM> kaya@hpsgrt1.HP.COM (Kaya TOTONG) writes:
>>/ hpsgrt1:comp.sys.ibm.pc / jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) / 12:09 am  Jan 20, 1990 /
>>The Logitech mouse driver is Microsoft compatible. It should work with
>>any software that works with the Microsoft mouse.

>There is now a THIRD mouse - The new HP Mouse with Mini-DIN Interface.
>It's ergonomically designed, fully compatible with Microsoft Mouse and

Note that a software compatible mouse does not mean hardware compatible.
For example, the Logitech mouse driver will not work with my Microsoft
InPort mouse. If your software package directly accesses the mouse hardware,
you are out of luck if your software does not accomodate various mouse
hardware.

This article is posted for factual information only. Any misrepresentation,
if any, is purely unintentional. Any opinion expressed or implicit in
these remarks are solely my own.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nghiem
nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu