[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP Deskjet Plus

jah1@uafhcx.uucp (JAMES ALAN HUGHES) (02/06/90)

I've been using the HP Deskjet Plus since September of last year.  I haven't
ever had any problems with it until recently.  It has started to print the
first half of the first page correctly, but from there on the print gets
lighter and lighter.  I remember a friend making a comment about a problem
with the Deskjet doing this, but I can't remember what it was that I had to
do to have to problem fixed. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything
about a possible recall on a part in the Deskjet Plus, or what I needed to
do to fix it.

        /\          |                /\                  /\                /
      /    \        |              /    \              /    \            /
    /--------\      |            /--------\          /        \        /
  /            \    |          /            \      /            \    /
/                \  |______  /                \  /                \/

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (02/08/90)

In article <3631@uafhp.uark.edu>,
jah1@uafhcx.uucp (JAMES ALAN HUGHES) writes:
>I've been using the HP Deskjet Plus since September of last year.  I haven't
>ever had any problems with it until recently.  It has started to print the
>first half of the first page correctly, but from there on the print gets
>lighter and lighter.  I remember a friend making a comment about a problem
>with the Deskjet doing this, but I can't remember what it was that I had to
>do to have to problem fixed. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything
>about a possible recall on a part in the Deskjet Plus, or what I needed to
>do to fix it.

It dosen't sound like you've used it much, but I had the same
problem caused by an empty ink cartridge. Replacing it cured the
problem. Perhaps yours is somewhat blocked. Try using the "prime"
key a few times, and see if thaht helps. If not, I think I read
something about blowing air through the cartridge somehow, but I
don't remember the details.

Richard Stanton

pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

scs2635@cec1.wustl.edu (Sean Cronin Starkey) (02/08/90)

In article <3631@uafhp.uark.edu> jah1@uafhcx.uucp (JAMES ALAN HUGHES) writes:
>I've been using the HP Deskjet Plus since September of last year.  I haven't
>ever had any problems with it until recently.  It has started to print the
>first half of the first page correctly, but from there on the print gets
>lighter and lighter.  I remember a friend making a comment about a problem
>with the Deskjet doing this, but I can't remember what it was that I had to
>do to have to problem fixed. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything
>about a possible recall on a part in the Deskjet Plus, or what I needed to
>do to fix it.

Could it be that your ink cartridge is running out????  You know, they don't
last forever.......

--
#    Sean Starkey   }:>    Washington University    scs2635@cec2.wustl.edu    #
#    6926 Millbrook Blvd. 3-204           1761 Happ Road                      #

wg@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Bill Gieske) (02/08/90)

> In article <3631@uafhp.uark.edu> jah1@uafhcx.uucp (JAMES ALAN HUGHES) writes:
>I've been using the HP Deskjet Plus since September of last year.  I haven't
>ever had any problems with it until recently.  It has started to print the
>first half of the first page correctly, but from there on the print gets
>lighter and lighter.  I remember a friend making a comment about a problem
>with the Deskjet doing this, but I can't remember what it was that I had to
>do to have to problem fixed. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything
>about a possible recall on a part in the Deskjet Plus, or what I needed to
>do to fix it.

The DeskJet has what HP calls a deprime problem.  Because of this, an air
bubble can work its way into the cartridge, stopping ink flow.  And, this
can occur in the course of printing a single page.

HP will ship a free of charge repair kit.  Installing it took me about 10
minutes.  The sled or whatever it was called and a few other pieces are
swapped where the ink cartridge parks or homes.  I made the repair a month
ago, and have not printed high volume since, so it's too early to tell what
the upshot of this is.  Knowing HP, I trust this is a true fix.  Also, any
cartridges that died prematurely can be exchanged where you purchased them.
HP will accept returns from the dealer.  I exchanged two I purchased from
RP Systems with no hassle.

Now, if only they could fix the water soluable ink problem.

leverich@randvax.UUCP (Brian Leverich) (02/15/90)

The inelegant but generally effective fix to jamming DeskJet inkpots is
to pull the inkpot and blow enthusiastically into the small vent in
middle of the green plastic arrow on top.

For reasons too obvious to enumerate, it's a good idea to put kleenex or
some such under the print head before you blow.

Now if someone would just tell me how to freeze a restartable core
image of PC-Scheme in the middle of a session.  (I need a more general
mechanism than DOS-CALL...)  -B
--
  "Simulate it in ROSS"
  Brian Leverich                       | U.S. Snail: 1700 Main St.