[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Xerox -> IBM file convers

mark.freedman@canremote.uucp (MARK FREEDMAN) (02/14/90)

>I have an old Xerox 820 CP/M machine with lots of files created in

>conversion, but my PC drives  >can't handle Xerox SSSD disks.  The

jE>There are at least two commercial products that will let you read
jE>Xerox and all other CP/M disks on a pc.  One is Uniform-PC, the other
jE>is Media Master.  I don't have the coordinates handy for the

   I'm quite certain that the drive controller in the PC won't handle
single-density formats. It's a hardware limitation designed into the
board.

mark.freedman@canremote.uucp
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #4219  Perfection is our MINIMUM stadnard ...

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/15/90)

>In a previous article I wrote:
>>There are at least two commercial products that will let you read
>>Xerox and all other CP/M disks on a pc.  One is Uniform-PC, the other
>>is Media Master.  I don't have the coordinates handy for the

>To which Mark Freedman responds:
>   I'm quite certain that the drive controller in the PC won't handle
>single-density formats. It's a hardware limitation designed into the
>board.

Yes, of course that is true.  I exaggerated sligtly.  I figured that
given the distance back in history that it has receded to, it really
doesn't matter that much.  It also won't read the hard-sector formats
such as Heath and North Star.  Uniform-PC will also read
odd DOS formats such as Rainbow 80T SS and Sharp 3.5" 40T.

While on the subject, Uniform-PC will format DEC RX50 diskettes which
are used on the DEC Micro-PDP11 series.  The PDP's are incapable of
formatting floppies, so if you don't want to pay through the schnozz
you can just buy cheap PC disks and format them on an AT 80T drive
using the Rainbow format.  It works fine.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/15/90)

|>In a previous article I wrote:
|>>There are at least two commercial products that will let you read
|>>Xerox and all other CP/M disks on a pc.  One is Uniform-PC, the other
|>>is Media Master.  I don't have the coordinates handy for the
|
|>To which Mark Freedman responds:
|>   I'm quite certain that the drive controller in the PC won't handle
|>single-density formats. It's a hardware limitation designed into the
|>board.
|
|Yes, of course that is true.  I exaggerated sligtly.  I figured that
|given the distance back in history that it has receded to, it really
|doesn't matter that much.  It also won't read the hard-sector formats
|such as Heath and North Star.  Uniform-PC will also read
|odd DOS formats such as Rainbow 80T SS and Sharp 3.5" 40T.

No, no, wait a moment, don't fold your cards so fast. The manual for
the 22DISK program by Sydex, which is for reading CP/M disks on MS-DOS
says that the IBM floppy controller can read 3740 format recorded
disks (which is what single density means I assume).  I also looked at
the data sheet for the 765 floppy controller chip and indeed it has
this mode.  But the catch is this: you have to make a simple hardware
patch between the controller to the demodulator chip (?) to enable this
mode.  The details of this patch are in the 22DISK documentation.
22DSK is in the Simtel archives and slave archives too, I presume.