[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Gateway 386-25

mp2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Palmquist) (02/06/90)

I will be purchasing a 386-25 pc sometime during the next few months --
I'll be using it for statistical analysis and text (linguistic)
analysis, as well as word processing and mail.  I've seen the
advertisments for Gateway's 386-25 and the specs and price look
attractive.  Does anyone have experience with this machine, or with
Gateway in general?  What other machines would you recommend?  Price is
something of an issue -- i.e., I can't afford a Compaq or an IBM.  I'm
also less interested in a caching machine (figuring I'll spend the
difference on faster ram).

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Mike Palmquist

************************
mp2k@andrew.cmu.edu
Department of English
Carnegie Mellon University
voice:  412/268-5636

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (02/07/90)

I own a Gateway2000 386/25.  I've had it since last October.  The machine is
pretty well made.  The peripherals are top notch.  The system consists of:

     Micronics motherboard with 64kB of cache & full speed chipset
     Micronics memory board w/ 4Mb of 80Ns RAM (expands to 8 w/ chips,
                                                           16Mb w/ daughterbrd)
     Western Digital WD1007 ESDI controller board
     Miniscribe OR MicroScience 150 Mbyte hard drive
     Teac 5.25" floppy and a ????? 3.5" floppy (I had one already)
     Noname I/O card with 2 serial/1 parallel/1 game port
     ATI VGAWONDER w/256k memory (512K available for $50 extra)
     Video Monitor w/ 800x600 res.  (I upgraded to NEC 3D for $100)
     Phoenix BIOS ver. 1.10.10
     DOS 3.3 OR 4.01 (your choice) AND QAPLUS software package

Gateway pretty much owns the "best for the bucks" title.  Their full blown
hi-res VGA and big hard disc systems generally cost what the other companies'
basic systems cost.

My hard disc had a minor problem booting when the system was cold.  Gateway
has gone above and beyond the call servicing my system.  They've sent me
parts and had the replacements picked up.  (All Fed. Ex. and FREE to me)
They finally sent me an entire NEW system.  They ALWAYS called back when they
said they would, ALWAYS shipped parts when they said they would and ALWAYS
been courteous/interested in any minor problem/complaint I've had.  I've
never found a mail order company nicer to deal with.  (but some a lot worse
to deal with!)

Gateway is out to carve a large niche for itself in the pc marketplace and
seem to be on the right track with low prices and great service.

Do I sound like a commercial or what?

Just a happy customer,

  Ken

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/08/90)

In article <QZnPhku00W068A61IP@andrew.cmu.edu> mp2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Palmquist) writes:
>I will be purchasing a 386-25 pc sometime during the next few months --
>I'll be using it for statistical analysis and text (linguistic)
>analysis, as well as word processing and mail.  I've seen the
>advertisments for Gateway's 386-25 and the specs and price look
>attractive.  Does anyone have experience with this machine, or with

I am posting this instead of using mail in hopes of cutting down on a few
of the seemingly hundreds of requests lately that all ask "Is Gateway good?".
Of course, posting this won't help any if folks don't READ any of the news
before they post...........<SIGH>
I check in on 4 different national nets regularly and all the answers have
been the same.  I have yet to see a SINGLE unhappy Gateway owner.  I certainly
am happy with mine.  This is not to say that the company is perfect but when
a problem does occur, it looks like they always handle it to the customer's
satisfaction.
I did see one complaint just yesterday that would indicate that Gateway
might be doing TOO good.  It seems that some folks are having trouble
contacting their sales force to place an order.  This might mean that
shipping might be slow too (pure speculation on that point).
My advice is "Go for it, you probably won't be disappointed" but start
placing your order well in advance of the time you really need the
machine.  There might be some delays.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (02/10/90)

> I did see one complaint just yesterday that would indicate that Gateway
> might be doing TOO good.  It seems that some folks are having trouble
> contacting their sales force to place an order.  This might mean that
> shipping might be slow too (pure speculation on that point).

  Gateway is now shipping >300 systems a DAY.  Lead time on getting a system
is 2 weeks (as of last week).  If the lead time changes, they will tell you.
They ship when they say rather than give you some bull about "tomorrow" and
stringing you along.  They have seen fit to beef up their technical
staff as a first priority as business expands and their sales force second.
This is indicative of Gateway 2000's attitude towards their customers.  They
take good care of them!  This is in contrast to the company I bought my
previous computer from.  I could always get a salesman but when the thing
broke, just try and get it fixed!

Just a very satisfied customer,

Ken

yjkim@milton.acs.washington.edu (Yong Kim) (02/10/90)

I called Gateway 2000 to ask further questions on the system
I purchased.  I tried 4 times and it was a very frustrating
experience to get through to the salesman I had talked to.
I was quite puzzled.  I wish the techinical support would not
be that bad!  I am not a fully satisfied customer.

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/11/90)

In article <5190077@hplsla.HP.COM>, kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) wrote:
}[Gateway 2000] have seen fit to beef up their technical
}staff as a first priority as business expands and their sales force second.

I can second that.  My video board died last night, and I spoke to tech
support at noon today (Saturday! first try!).  Where else do you get tech
support on weekends?

	 Another satisfied customer (now if only the Orchid VGA's would last
	 more than six weeks....)
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

>Item 9042 (0 resps) by Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU on Thu 15 Feb 90 12:56
>[<No Identification>]    Subject: Re: Gateway 386-25
>(17 lines)
>
>I can second that.  My video board died last night, and I spoke to tech
>support at noon today (Saturday! first try!).  Where else do you get tech
>support on weekends?

At MCS, of course :-)

(Sorry, I just had to :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]