[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 65MB RLL Drive Recommendations

wdarden@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Bill Darden <wdarden>) (02/08/90)

I have an Adaptec ACB 2070 Controller and I am looking for a 28 ms
(or better) 65 MB RLL Drive, cheap.  I would appreciate any
comments/recommendation, specifically on Toshiba MK134 FA or
Seagate's 277R-1.  Thanks in advance.

BiLL.....

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (02/08/90)

wdarden@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Bill Darden <wdarden>) writes:

>I have an Adaptec ACB 2070 Controller and I am looking for a 28 ms
>(or better) 65 MB RLL Drive, cheap.  I would appreciate any
>comments/recommendation, specifically on Toshiba MK134 FA or
>Seagate's 277R-1.  Thanks in advance.

Miniscribe 6053.  Lovely machine, beautifully built.  I've used one on
an ACB2020 for 2 years without developing a single bad sector.  As an
added bonus, try to get your dealer to let you try a Miniscribe 6032,
but *try formatting it as a 6053*, i.e. with 5 heads not 3: some of
the 6032 are just relabeled 6053s.  Mine was.

These drives are discontinued now, so good deals can be found.

--Richard
--
Richard J. Reiner              rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca
BITNET: rreiner@yorkvm1.bitnet (also rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca)

peter@CUNIXF.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Peter Wu) (02/08/90)

In article <5409@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> you write:
>I have an Adaptec ACB 2070 Controller and I am looking for a 28 ms
>(or better) 65 MB RLL Drive, cheap.  I would appreciate any
>comments/recommendation, specifically on Toshiba MK134 FA or
>Seagate's 277R-1.  Thanks in advance.

I just got a ST277R-1 from Hard Disk International for $433
including/shipping (fed ex std air).  It seems pretty quick (I am
currently using it with a XT comp., later I expect to move it to a
386).  It is suppose to be a 28 ms drive.  The seeking time is 28 ms
when I tested it.  It seems like a pretty good deal.  The kit for AT's
are a bit more expensive ($10-20?).  The kit (which I got) comes with
a controller.

>BiLL.....

Pedro Quien?

davee@esfenn.UUCP (Dave Edick) (02/12/90)

In article <5409@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> wdarden@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Bill Darden <wdarden>) writes:
>I have an Adaptec ACB 2070 Controller and I am looking for a 28 ms
>(or better) 65 MB RLL Drive, cheap.  I would appreciate any
>comments/recommendation, specifically on Toshiba MK134 FA or
>Seagate's 277R-1.  Thanks in advance.

I'd definitely recommend the Toshiba over the Seagate.  The Seagates are
quite suspectable to stiction (heads getting stuck to the platters).  The
Toshibas do not appear to have this problem, plus they're faster, quieter,
put out less heat, and smaller.  Need I go on?  There is a down side to the
Toshiba.  It costs a little more.  Seagates are virtually always the cheapest
bet in town, but you pay for it by getting a less reliable drive.

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (02/12/90)

In article <538@esfenn.UUCP> davee@.UUCP (Dave Edick) writes:
>I'd definitely recommend the Toshiba over the Seagate.  The Seagates are
>quite suspectable to stiction (heads getting stuck to the platters).  The
>Toshibas do not appear to have this problem, plus they're faster, quieter,
>put out less heat, and smaller.  Need I go on?  There is a down side to the
>Toshiba.  It costs a little more.  Seagates are virtually always the cheapest
>bet in town, but you pay for it by getting a less reliable drive.

I'd be the first to agree with this assertion for the earlier RLL drives
from Seagate, most notably the ST-238R (some might not even have the R),
but I beg to differ with reference to the 277.  This is a fast and very
reliable drive - I've been using it for seven months now (heavily), and
never had a misread, bad sector, crash, or any problems I frequently
have with the second hard drive, an old junky 238.  Don't judge all
models by one or two older ones.

On the other hand, it's true that I have no experience with Toshiba
drives, and they may well be fantastic as well.  Seagate bundles Disk
Manager and a manual listing all their drives' parameters, but I don't
know one way or the other about Toshiba.

Kevin Martin
sigma@pawl.rpi.edu

wdarden@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Bill Darden <wdarden>) (02/16/90)

My thanks to all that replied.  The bottom line is that both the
Toshiba 134FA and the Mitsubish MR535 recieved outstanding comments
with no reported problems.  There were mixed reviews on the Seagate
ST277R-1 and ST251-1 and the Miniscribes.  Apparently, the Toshiba's
and Mitsubish's are less noisy, more reliable, faster and more
expensive than the Seagate's and Miniscribe's.

Again thanks for your responses,

BiLL.....