[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problems with SONY diskettes

MPMCGEEH@MTUS5.BITNET (02/16/90)

I have been having problems with 3 1/2 in SONY diskettes.  I often need to copy
 files from a friend's computer (a Wyse) and then use them on my TANDY 1000 TX.
 My computer cannot read the disks after they have been copied on by his comput
er.  I have tried numerous Sony disks but none seem to work.  Any other company
's disks work.  I have tried reformatting the disks but this always fails.  Pc-
Tools and Norton Disk Doctor say the disks are fine.  The error I am receiving
from Pc-tools is - bad CRC on diskette read.  Also this disks work fine if I ju
st use them on my system soly, or on his soly.  Has anyone else had this proble
m?  Can it be cured?

                               Michael McGeehan
                               MPMCGEEH@MTUS5.BITNET

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/17/90)

MPMCGEEH@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>I have been having problems with 3 1/2 in SONY diskettes.  I often need to copy
> files from a friend's computer (a Wyse) and then use them on my TANDY 1000 TX.
> My computer cannot read the disks after they have been copied on by his comput
>er.  I have tried numerous Sony disks but none seem to work.  Any other company
>'s disks work.  I have tried reformatting the disks but this always fails.  Pc-
>Tools and Norton Disk Doctor say the disks are fine.  The error I am receiving
>from Pc-tools is - bad CRC on diskette read.  Also this disks work fine if I ju
>st use them on my system soly, or on his soly.  Has anyone else had this proble
>m?  Can it be cured?

It sounds like your system has a 1.44 meg drive, and your friend's system
has a 720 K drive.  This problem is inherent in the design of the drives
(thanks IBM :-(   )   and is basicly unsolvable.  You might find some
diskettes that will work properly, but I wouldn't count on it.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.