[comp.sys.ibm.pc] membrane keyboard

xxrich@alliant1 (Rich Rinehart) (02/15/90)

does anyone know of a membrane keyboard, maybe one with
just a numpad, that would be suitable for factory 'dumb user'
operation.  (maybe it would plug into a serial port.)

any ideas?  i've done a document search but the 'hot' item
now (god knows why) is membrane touch screens.

thanks!

Rich Rinehart                  |     phone: 216-433-5211
NASA Lewis Research Center     |     email: xxrich@alliant1.lerc.nasa.gov

gardner@kodak.UUCP (Dick Gardner) (02/16/90)

In article <1990Feb15.150406.28928@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxrich@alliant1.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>does anyone know of a membrane keyboard, maybe one with
>just a numpad, that would be suitable for factory 'dumb user'
>operation.  (maybe it would plug into a serial port.)

Rich -
    The Microswitch division of Honeywell makes a large number of membrane
keyboards.  From numeric keypads to full computer-type keyboards.  Your
local Honeywell sales critter should be able to help.
    I also have info on a firm in Buffalo that makes a variety of keypads
into which you can insert your own key legends. We had them make one for us
that could be back-lit with an electro-luminescent lamp for the darkroom.

    I've got the day off today and I'm writing this from home, so I don't have
the info at hand.  If you need the info fast, or I can help you in any way,
send me email with a FAX number, and I will zip it off to you.  I have some
Microswitch data sheets, and I'm pretty sure I can get info about the Buffalo
firm (I think their name is Tapecon, but unsure.)

Happy Huntimg

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14652-4201
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: rutgers!rochester!kodak!gardner
		   Net:  gardner@kodak.com

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

ed.leslie@canremote.uucp (ED LESLIE) (02/18/90)

xxrich@alliant1 (Rich Rinehart) writes:

x1>does anyone know of a membrane keyboard, maybe one with
x1>just a numpad, that would be suitable for factory 'dumb user'
x1>operation.  (maybe it would plug into a serial port.)

You could try contacting Burr-Brown in Tucson, Arizona. They sell a wide
range of 'industrial' terminals with numeric and function, or with full
alpha keyboards. The terminals have either LED segment, gas
phosphorescent dot matrix, or LCD dot matrix displays. The units have
some limited memory for storing output messages and keyboard input, can
be interfaced with bar code scanners, magnetic card readers, output only
printers, etc. The units operate in a polled environment, and can be
multi-dropped off a single RS232 or RS422 line.

I have no connection with this company, but have used these terminals in
two separate projects over the last couple of years, with good success.

Regards....Ed Leslie
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #1656  ed.leslie@canremote.uucp