[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any portables with slots?

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (02/08/90)

Does anyone out there know of any 386 based portables that have any
expansion slots? One or two is all we need.  Please respond via email.

Thanks,
Phil Paone
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) (02/09/90)

>/ hp-ptp:comp.sys.ibm.pc / paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) /  6:26 am  Feb  8, 1990 /
>
>Does anyone out there know of any 386 based portables that have any
>expansion slots? One or two is all we need.  Please respond via email.

     Try the NEC's 386 and Toshiba's 5X00 machines.  Also Compaq has a
     luggable 386 which has expansion slots.

fredb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Fred Buechler [Devil Mountain Consulting]) (02/10/90)

In article <1400030@hp-ptp.HP.COM> pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:
>>/ hp-ptp:comp.sys.ibm.pc / paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) /  6:26 am  Feb  8, 1990 /
>>
>>Does anyone out there know of any 386 based portables that have any
>>expansion slots? One or two is all we need.  Please respond via email.
>

>     Try the NEC's 386 and Toshiba's 5X00 machines.  Also Compaq has a
>     luggable 386 which has expansion slots.

Dolche has a good line of 'lunchbox' style portables that have several
expansion slots.

Fred Buechler                           fredb@llama.rtech.com
Devil Mountain Consulting, Inc          71261.2747@compuserve.com
Concord, California                     # include <DISCLAIMERS.STD>
"Never test for an error condition that you don't know how to handle"

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (02/10/90)

pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:

>>/ hp-ptp:comp.sys.ibm.pc / paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) /  6:26 am  Feb  8, 1990 /
>>
>>Does anyone out there know of any 386 based portables that have any
>>expansion slots? One or two is all we need.  Please respond via email.

>     Try the NEC's 386 and Toshiba's 5X00 machines.  Also Compaq has a
>     luggable 386 which has expansion slots.

Other lunch pail types with multiple slots are Dolch and PC Brand.  The Dolch
has been a regular PC Mag Editor's Choice.  We have a 386/25 and it's really
nice.  Expensive though (>$10K).  You can get an expansion chassis that brings
then number of free slots up to 6.  More than a DeskPro.  The base system has
2 long and one short free.  I think all are 16 bit.

I was under the impression the NEC portables had proprietary slots.

I'm in the market for a clamshell type 386 with one slot.  The only one I've
found is the Toshiba.  Unfortunately, I can't buy one with government money
because of the unfortunate submarine prop incident.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/11/90)

In article <1990Feb9.170301.16184@seri.gov> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
$I was under the impression the NEC portables had proprietary slots.

   Not the Powermate Portable SX, anyway ... it has three AT-bus slots.
My brother has one of these, and is using one for a Hayes modem and another
for an ArcNet card, and has had no problems with them.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

>-----
>Response 3 of 3 (8862) by marshall at wind55.seri.gov on Sat 10 Feb 90 20:45
>[Marshall L. Buhl]
>(27 lines)
>
>pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:
>
>>>/ hp-ptp:comp.sys.ibm.pc / paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) /  6:26 am
>>Feb  8, 1990 /
>>>
>>>Does anyone out there know of any 386 based portables that have any
>>>expansion slots? One or two is all we need.  Please respond via email.
>

>>     Try the NEC's 386 and Toshiba's 5X00 machines.  Also Compaq has a
>>     luggable 386 which has expansion slots.
>
>Other lunch pail types with multiple slots are Dolch and PC Brand.  The Dolch
>has been a regular PC Mag Editor's Choice.  We have a 386/25 and it's really
>nice.  Expensive though (>$10K).  You can get an expansion chassis that brings
>then number of free slots up to 6.  More than a DeskPro.  The base system has
>2 long and one short free.  I think all are 16 bit.

We have a "lunch pail" type system which is available on 286, 386SX, and
386DX (20Mhz) sizes...

It has near-normal expansion capability (believe it or not!), and uses a
rather interesting board-mounting system.  It's a very unique system;
available with either Plasma and LCD displays.

These aren't as cheap as a standard cabinet, but they are >much< less
expensive than the comparable Compaq system.  Somewhere in the $3k range I
do believe, depending on the display option you want.

Call or email for more info including pricing!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

czmurek@drunivac.drew.edu (02/18/90)

In article <Feb.8.09.26.02.1990.28996@aramis.rutgers.edu>, paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:
> Does anyone out there know of any 386 based portables that have any
> expansion slots? One or two is all we need.  Please respond via email.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil Paone

Phil:
	In my opinion the Toshiba line of '386 and '386sx protables
are the best bet for you.  I have used all of them and recommend them
most highly. The T3200sx runs at 16mhz and has one 8bit and one 16bit
slot.  The T5100 also runs at 16mhz and has a normal 386. The only
difference here in looks is that it has no numeric keypad.  If cost is
not important and you want the best protable I would highly recommend
that you purchase the T5200 which can be equiped with 4 megs., 100
meg. hard drive, the best VGA plasma on the market and two slots open
for just 4999.00.
	I hope this will be of use to you.  By the way- take a look at
a company called olivetti. They are producing toshiba clones with the
same or almost the same quality for slightly less money.  But Toshiba
offers a five year full parts and maintenance plan with the T5200
which makes it a much more attractive machine.  It also comes with
many utilities and MS Windows '386.
	Happy shopping...

-Chris