[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 720k floppy drive

kaldis@traffic.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (02/18/90)

In article <1527@motmpl.UUCP> ron@motmpl.UUCP (Ron Widell) writes:

> Kenneth J. Hendrickson:

>> I have just gotten a 720k drive.  [...] terminating resistor [...]
>> I can't find any such resistor on my 720k drive.

> It's probably not there, but there's probably a socket for it,

I have installed several 720K drives, and none of them had a
terminating resistor.  Your drive may not need one either (or there
may be a jumper for it).

>> Is there any jumpers I must set on my 720k drive to select the B:
>> drive?

> All PC's (and most clones) that I've seen leave the drive-select jumpers
> configured for drive 0 (when numbered 0-3, otherwise 1 for 1-4).

This is incorrect.  The drive should be set as drive *1* if the choice
is from 0 to 3, and drive *2* if it is from 1 to 4.  If you set BOTH
drives as Mr. Widell suggests above, the system will still work, but
the drive before the twist in the cable will be drive A:, and the
drive after the twist will be drive B:.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away