[comp.sys.ibm.pc] a 9600 modem question

roy@ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) (02/13/90)

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>>Also, I am looking for a fast modem, but am not sure what type to get.  I
>>would
>>like at least 9,600 baud, but 19,200 (or higher) is what I am really looking
>>for.  Any clues?  (I know, I ask a lot of questions, but how else do you get

>Who are you planning to communicate with?   If DOS BBS's - go with the USR
>HST, if Unix boxes, go with the Telebit Trailblazer.  Again, more
>information is needed.

>larry@nstar

I too need to know about 9600 bps modems.  I'm going to be using DOS
machines and PS/2 machines.  I would very much like to have the modems
be internal.  Also, reliability over cost - this is a business which
cannot afford poor transmissions.  Phone numbers of companies or
places to find them would also be helpful (I've never heard of a USR
HST :-(.

John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92717
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

bmh@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Brian M Hoffman) (02/13/90)

In article <25D72B20.567@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:

>I too need to know about 9600 bps modems.  I'm going to be using DOS
>machines and PS/2 machines.  I would very much like to have the modems
>be internal.  Also, reliability over cost - this is a business which
>cannot afford poor transmissions.  Phone numbers of companies or
>places to find them would also be helpful (I've never heard of a USR
>HST :-(.
>
>John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
>ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92717
>Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

Never heard of USR HST's?  Well, considering that USR makes the de facto
standard 9600 modem for the entire PC BBS world, I'd say you have quite a
bit of research to do.  Let me help you.

In the PC world,( I don't care about mainframes) there are essentially two
types of 9600 modems, Hayes and US Robotics.  Hayes modems tend to be
fantastically expensive, so most average Joe's went with the USRs, which
are also costly, but not as much.  In this way, USR came to dominate the
PC BBS scene.  I should point out that these modems are not compatible with
each other...

Recently, USR has come out with new models referred to as the 1440's.  I am
told that these modemsacheive 14,000bps (or baud, whatever).  These modems are
the cutting edge.  In addition, USR makes a 'Dual Standard 1440' that will
communicate with the Hayes at 9600.  USR also makes a plain 1440 that will not
talk the the Hayes.  Both of these modems are expensive, but boy are they fast.

I'm not sure if you can get an internal version from USR.  Most people I know
have externals.  The quality of the modems is excellent, though I'm not so
sure about the tech support.  I do know that they send out ROM
upgrades when they are needed.

If you are calling other PC's with your PC's, go with USR.

Brian

Disclaimer:	I'll say what I feel like, so there.

william.pipher@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM PIPHER) (02/17/90)

TO: ALL

bd>In article <25D72B20.567@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@ics.uci.edu (John
bd>M.A. Roy) writes:

>I too need to know about 9600 bps modems.  I'm going to be using DOS
>machines and PS/2 machines.  I would very much like to have the modems
>be internal.  Also, reliability over cost - this is a business which
>cannot afford poor transmissions.  Phone numbers of companies or
>places to find them would also be helpful (I've never heard of a USR
>HST :-(.

Another writer replied:

>In the PC world,( I don't care about mainframes) there are
>essentially two types of 9600 modems, Hayes and US Robotics.

Don't forget the V.32 and V.42 modems.  Typically, 9600 and 14400
modems only operate at such high speed in one direction only at a
time.  V.32 and V.42, hovever, is FULL DUPLEX at 9600 baud.  I believe
that this will become the new standard and that one year down the road
any 9600 baud modem which does not support V.32 or V.42 will be dust.

>In addition, USR makes a 'Dual Standard 1440' that will
>communicate with the Hayes at 9600.

By the way, the USR HST 14400 Dual Standard means 14400 and * V.32 *
not 14400 and Hayes V9600 as was stated.  V.32 has a much wider scope
than merely the Hayes V9600, and the Hayes V9600 is NOT V.32.  As
far as I know, nothing will talk to a Hayes V9600 at 9600 baud
except Hayes  V9600's.

The HST Dual Standard  is a nice machine, but is significantly
more expensive than the MULTI-TECH  "Multi-Modem V.32 9600" which
sells for around $840 Canadian in  Toronto, which probably means
you're looking at $650 in the  'States.  9600 full duplex with
MNP5 is pretty sweet, and  at  that price is  cheap, if time is
money for you.

MULTI-TECH SYSTEMS INC
2205 Woodale Drive
Mounds View, Minnesota
55112

(612) 785-3500

Internal modems are a bad idea, in my opinion.  You want to use them
on PS/2's under DOS/OS2 this year, but what if you want to move
it to some other platform or operating system next?  If it's internal -
forget it!

I am just a happy user -- all disclaimers apply.

--WmP--
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a18 #3744  william.pipher@canremote.uucp

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (02/19/90)

				a friend of mine told me that you can
get a USR Dual Standard for something like $400 if you keep a BBS
running for something like three months with it . after that , you're
free to do with it what you want .

				and as far as high - speed modems are
concerned , i'm surprised that no one ( that i've seen ) has mentioned
the telebit trailblazer , which can actually go up to 19.6 Kb/s
_without_ data compression ( to the best of my recollection ) . it can
only do this with another trailblazer , however . again , this is to the
best of my recollection , anm may be wrong ...

								--a.stranger

--
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @