[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Simtel20.Arpa Access

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (02/19/90)

In article <1102@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>
shapiro@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Brian Shapiro) writes:

>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>Subject: simtel20.arpa status

>I have been trying for several weeks to do anonymous ftp
>file transfers from simtel20.arpa without success. Does
>anyone out there know what the status of the simtel20 site
>is?

I have just been on there.  Works like a champ.  It's a very
popular limited resource, you know, and the main ticket
seems to be getting on in the dead of night.  It's in the
Mountain time zone, I believe, so you might try getting up
at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. your time.

The probability of getting connected between 0700 and 2400
CDT on business days is next to nil, I've found.

A couple years ago, things were much easier, but the service
has succeeded very well (and thanks to Keith and simtel20,
btw), and demand clearly exceeds supply.

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu====UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==