[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Request for Software information

cmaguire@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Camm Maguire) (02/15/90)

	Does anyone know of a word processing program in the public
domain which can handle files larger than the available RAM?  (i.e.
by continually reading and dumping the excess to the disk as
needed?)  Thanks for any info!

Camm

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (02/18/90)

In regards to public domain word processing software, I know of NO public
domain ones.  However, I can name a couple of shareware programs that I
suspect do handle ">RAM" file sizes.  They are PC-TYPE, from Buttonware, and
GALAXY from Idunnoware. (Actually, I dunno.)  They are availabe through the
misleading miscreant shareware houses that are plagueing the market, and your
local friendly BBS.

Eric

 ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil
Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com

ph62303@tut.fi (Hartoma Petri Juhani) (02/19/90)

In article <13869@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> cmaguire@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Camm Maguire) writes:
>	   Does anyone know of a word processing program in the public
>   domain which can handle files larger than the available RAM?  (i.e.
>   by continually reading and dumping the excess to the disk as
>   needed?)  Thanks for any info!

Not Public Domain, but Shareware: WED, which is available from
SIMTEL20's directory pd:<msdos.editor>. I don't remember the
registration cost, but the program itself seems to be quite
professional.

BTW, I tried to handle two files - WED's own document and SIMTEL20's
index at different windows at the same time - it didn't work: my
machine hang!
--
$ Petri Hartoma, Tre University of Technology $ "Terve n{kee sen otsallaan- $
$ Internet: ph62303@tut.fi, ph62303@tut.UUCP, $  kin, muttei sit{ laske si- $