[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview and SVGA

phil@pepsi.amd.com (02/16/90)

As far as I can tell, Desqview has no support for Super VGA or any
extended video modes. If you want to use anything better than IBM VGA,
you are out of luck. Is this true and does anyone know of plans to
improve the situation? Maybe I should just dump DV for MS Windows...

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (02/16/90)

In article <29189@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.amd.com () writes:
>As far as I can tell, Desqview has no support for Super VGA or any
>extended video modes. If you want to use anything better than IBM VGA,
>you are out of luck.

Almost true.  Desqview doesn't support the super VGA modes, but will let
you use them in a full screen application.  If you switch out and back,
you'll probably lose some of it.  If you zoom it down to a window, DV is
smart enough (at least with my ATI VGA Wonder) to realize the display is
in a mode it doesn't understand, so it switches to a normal mode, and
draws a "graphics curtain" over the window.

>Is this true and does anyone know of plans to
>improve the situation? Maybe I should just dump DV for MS Windows...

On a 286, I doubt if either one is really worth using.  On a 386, DV
performs much better than Windows, and Windows/386 video drivers are
a little scarce.  So you might just have to wait.  I did see a message
from Quarterdeck in Fidonet echomail that they are considering releasing
the video driver format; if they do, drivers should appear very quickly.

Duncan Murdoch
Where guns are legal, people get shot.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (02/17/90)

In article <29189@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.amd.com () writes:
>As far as I can tell, Desqview has no support for Super VGA or any
>extended video modes. If you want to use anything better than IBM VGA,
>you are out of luck. Is this true and does anyone know of plans to
>improve the situation? Maybe I should just dump DV for MS Windows...

It depends on what you mean by "support".  Desqview will let the program
display whatever it wants to; however, it doesn't save the screen unless it
recognises the video mode.  If you are working in 800x600 and switch to
another window, your diplay won't be there when you get back.

This could probably be remedied with a SuperVGA driver (GRFSVGA.DVR?).  Does
anyone have one of these, or know the format for DV screen drivers?

A question:  320x200x256 screens don't come out right on my display when
running things under DV.  The resolution is right, and the picture is
preserved, but it seems to be working with too few colors; many of them are
mapped to black rather than the correct color.  This doesn't happen in SVGA
modes...why is this?

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
"That's me making a fool of myself on the net."  --me

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (02/17/90)

This is not directly connected to the previous postings in this series,
but I am having some trouble with Desqview-386 and an ATI VGA Wonder
card running in mono VGA mode.  To make the best use of all my memory,
I've given the B8000-BFFFF area to QEMM to remap.  When I am in Desqview,
the screen sometimes rolls 1 pixel to the left; i.e., a single column of
pixels from the left edge of the screen shifts over to the right edge.
This never happened when I set up the card to use color.  Outside Desqview,
with QEMM installed, I have no trouble running graphics programs that
switch between monochrome text and greyscale graphics.  When I run these
in Desqview, however, they now fail when they try to switch OUT of graphics
modes.  They completely lock the machine.  In particular, the shareware GIF
viewer CSHOW has this problem.  Turning off virtualization of the screen
didn't seem to make any difference.  Any ideas?

 - David Hinds
   dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (02/17/90)

In article <4437@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) writes:
}A question:  320x200x256 screens don't come out right on my display when
}running things under DV.  The resolution is right, and the picture is
}preserved, but it seems to be working with too few colors; many of them are
}mapped to black rather than the correct color.  This doesn't happen in SVGA
}modes...why is this?

Have you told DV that the program uses graphics and uses its own colors?
(turning the latter on tells DV not to mess with the palette)

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/17/90)

In article <4437@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) writes:
|This could probably be remedied with a SuperVGA driver (GRFSVGA.DVR?).  Does
|anyone have one of these, or know the format for DV screen drivers?

But you must realize that there are few standards for modes beyond the
ones IBM created. VESA is trying to invent some but the existing product
out there will still all be different.

Someone said QD is thinking of releasing the format for the drivers.

|A question:  320x200x256 screens don't come out right on my display when
|running things under DV.  The resolution is right, and the picture is
|preserved, but it seems to be working with too few colors; many of them are
|mapped to black rather than the correct color.  This doesn't happen in SVGA
|modes...why is this?

When you say SVGA do you mean 16 or 256 color SVGA?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.

bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp (BRADLEY GRIGOR) (02/18/90)

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:

dD>This is not directly connected to the previous postings in this
dD>series,  but I am having some trouble with Desqview-386 and an ATI
dD>VGA Wonder card running in mono VGA mode.  To make the best use of
dD>all my memory, I've given the B8000-BFFFF area to QEMM to remap.
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
dD>When I am in Desqview, the screen sometimes rolls 1 pixel to the
dD>left; i.e., a single column of pixels from the left edge of the
dD>screen shifts over to the right edge. This never happened when I set
dD>up the card to use color.  Outside Desqview, with QEMM installed, I
dD>have no trouble running graphics programs that switch between
dD>monochrome text and greyscale graphics.  When I run these in
dD>Desqview, however, they now fail when they try to switch OUT of
dD>graphics modes.  They completely lock the machine.  In particular,
dD>the shareware GIF viewer CSHOW has this problem.  Turning off
dD>virtualization of the screen didn't seem to make any difference.  Any
dD>ideas?

You cannot assume that these addresses can be INCLUDED.  I know
of some programs (for example, when the 3d chess program CYRUS
returns to DOS) that cause the ATI VGA Wonder card to "switch"
through those addresses, causing the system to lock up.  To be
sure, EXCLUDE those addresses, run DESQview as you describe, then
look at the QEMM ACC MAP report.  I think you'll find that those
addresses HAVE been Accessed (and possibly Written).

bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp  :  ALEX is coming to Toronto in April.
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada     :  TelePoker will be there - will YOU?
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a20 #4613  "Nuthin' up ma sleeve..." -- Bullwinkle Moose

mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) (02/20/90)

In article <9261@portia.Stanford.EDU> dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
>card running in mono VGA mode.  To make the best use of all my memory,
>I've given the B8000-BFFFF area to QEMM to remap.  When I am in Desqview,
..
>in Desqview, however, they now fail when they try to switch OUT of graphics
>modes.  They completely lock the machine.  In particular, the shareware GIF

Many (most/all?) SVGA modes actually make use of addresses in the range
you have given away to QEMM.  The documentation for my paradise card
explicitly states that A0000-C7FFF is used by the card in one mode or another.

Solution.. simply EXCLUDE=A0000-C7FFF to guarantee that things will work ok
(or EXCLUDE=A0000-BFFFF ROM=C0000-C7FFF for shadowing of VGA/EGA BIOS).
To gain back some of that precious "high memory area", make use of the
lower portion of the bios roms:   INCLUDE=F0000-F8000 FRAME=C8000
--
 ______Mark S. Lord______________________ ______________________________
|    ..uunet!bnrgate!carrsc!mlord        | These are only MY opinions.  |

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (02/20/90)

In article <2213@bnr-rsc.UUCP> mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
>Many (most/all?) SVGA modes actually make use of addresses in the range
>you have given away to QEMM.  The documentation for my paradise card
>explicitly states that A0000-C7FFF is used by the card in one mode or another.

I have given QEMM permission to grab the mono display area on my board and
have had no problems, except when trying to run Mah Johngg VGA (which
assumes you have both VGA color and Hercules mono installed).  I use
640x400x256 mode regularly...

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (02/20/90)

In article <2213@bnr-rsc.UUCP>, mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
> >I've given the B8000-BFFFF area to QEMM to remap...
>
> Many (most/all?) SVGA modes actually make use of addresses in the range
> you have given away to QEMM.  The documentation for my paradise card
> explicitly states that A0000-C7FFF is used by the card in one mode or another

     This isn't my problem - I have no troubles when I set up my card as a
Color VGA, and tell QEMM to Include the area from B0000-B7FFF.  For the ATI
card, at least, all the SVGA modes use the A0000-AFFFF bank for graphics.
I know that a VGA card can coexist with a monochrome adapter that uses the
address space B0000-B7FFF; my question is sort of like whether a VGA card
set up as mono VGA can coexist with a CGA card.  My card seems to be able
to handle it, for programs that aren't confused by the graphics + mono text
addressing arrangement.  Desqview does not seem to be such a program.