[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 4.01 and SHARE.EXE

roller@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Jason Deines) (02/05/90)

I've always been puzzled as to why DOS 4.01 insists on having SHARE.EXE
loaded when dealing with large partitions.  All it says in the manual is
something to the effect that "SHARE must be loaded, or unpredictable
behavior will result".  Thing is, I've had people tell me that's a lot of
nonsense, and that they've run without SHARE for months with no problem at
all.

If that's true, I've got a related question:  how do you stop DOS from
sqawking at you about the lack of SHARE at bootup time?

Would someone please enlighten me?  Thanks.

Jason Deines                   Academic Information Resources
roller@jessica.stanford.edu    Sweet Hall, Third Floor
(415) 723-1055                 Stanford, CA  94305

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/05/90)

In article <1232@shelby.Stanford.EDU> roller@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Jason Deines) writes:
>I've always been puzzled as to why DOS 4.01 insists on having SHARE.EXE
>loaded when dealing with large partitions.  All it says in the manual is
>something to the effect that "SHARE must be loaded, or unpredictable
>behavior will result".  Thing is, I've had people tell me that's a lot of
>nonsense, and that they've run without SHARE for months with no problem at
>all.

I have an 80 mb disk, and DOS 4.01, and have never loaded share.  So far
I have had no problems.  The purpose of share is supposed to be to support
file and record locking in a multiuser situation.

>If that's true, I've got a related question:  how do you stop DOS from
>sqawking at you about the lack of SHARE at bootup time?

I don't know how to make it stop squawking.  I just ignore it.  DOS takes
the enlightened view that anybody with a disk bigger than 32 mb must be
running a network.  Who else would have a disk that big?

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) (02/05/90)

From article <25ccd167.2d5d@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, by jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck):

> In article <1232@shelby.Stanford.EDU> roller@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Jason Deines) writes:
>>I've always been puzzled as to why DOS 4.01 insists on having SHARE.EXE
>>loaded when dealing with large partitions.  All it says in the manual is
>>something to the effect that "SHARE must be loaded, or unpredictable
>>behavior will result".  Thing is, I've had people tell me that's a lot of
>>nonsense, and that they've run without SHARE for months with no problem at
>>all.
>
> I have an 80 mb disk, and DOS 4.01, and have never loaded share.  So far
> I have had no problems.  The purpose of share is supposed to be to support
> file and record locking in a multiuser situation.

I seem to remember having some problems when I disabled share.  I don`t
remember what kind of problems, but I left it on.  Later I made two
partitions on my hard disk so that one wasn`t >32meg because with share
I couldn't get some of my older software to work.  This has worked out
fine for me so far.  But eventually, I`ll want a larger partition.
So, I'm asking, is this true?  Nobody has experienced any problems without
share loaded?  I was under the impression that share keeps track of
where the files are and without it, it may not be able to find a file
it is looking for.  Am I way off base?  Does anybody know for sure
the facts?

Many thanks for your input.

Greg Cook                                Chemistry IS life!
Michigan State University      Watch for the next generation of Enamines
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu              coming to a Journal near you!

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/06/90)

In article <6307@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>From article <25ccd167.2d5d@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, by jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck):
>> I have an 80 mb disk, and DOS 4.01, and have never loaded share.  So far
>> I have had no problems.  The purpose of share is supposed to be to support
>> file and record locking in a multiuser situation.

I may have spoken too soon.  Now it is true that I have not put the SHARE
command into my AUTOEXEC.BAT file.  But yesterday I downloaded SYSID47 from
chyde.uwasa.fi, and when I ran it, it told me that SHARE was loaded!  Looking
in my DOS manual, it says, "Share is automatically loaded if you have a
hard disk which is greater than 32 megabytes in a single partition".  So
apparently, if you have a disk > 32 mb but with no partitions > 32 mb, DOS
just warns you, but doesn't do anything.  If you have a partition > 32 mb,
it loads SHARE whether you like it or not.

Somewhere on the net I vaguely recall seeing some guru from Microsoft
explaining why you need Share for large partitions.  I didn't really follow
what he said, but probably it is better to leave well enough alone, and
not try to disable Share for large partitions!

--

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/06/90)

In article <1232@shelby.Stanford.EDU> roller@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Jason Deines) writes:
>I've always been puzzled as to why DOS 4.01 insists on having SHARE.EXE
>loaded when dealing with large partitions.  All it says in the manual is
>something to the effect that "SHARE must be loaded, or unpredictable
>behavior will result".  Thing is, I've had people tell me that's a lot of
>nonsense, and that they've run without SHARE for months with no problem at
>all.
>If that's true, I've got a related question:  how do you stop DOS from
>sqawking at you about the lack of SHARE at bootup time?

DOS automatically loads share on large volumes.  If you don't want DOS to
squawk about it, put it in your CONFIG.SYS file with INSTALL.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (02/06/90)

In article <6307@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>So, I'm asking, is this true?  Nobody has experienced any problems without
>share loaded?  I was under the impression that share keeps track of
>where the files are and without it, it may not be able to find a file
>it is looking for.  Am I way off base?  Does anybody know for sure
>the facts?

Programs that use the DOS 1.x style FCB file services can't handle disks
with more than 64K of sectors, unless SHARE is loaded.  Part of the reserved
section of a file control block contains a single word giving the disk
sector of the directory entry.  I don't know what will happen if you
try to run one of these ancient programs on a huge disk with too many sectors,
but wouldn't really want to try.

This information is contained in Ralf Brown's interrupt list, available
somewhere near you.

Duncan Murdoch

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (02/06/90)

In article <25cdc295.3d1c@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>I may have spoken too soon.  Now it is true that I have not put the SHARE
>command into my AUTOEXEC.BAT file.  But yesterday I downloaded SYSID47 from
>chyde.uwasa.fi, and when I ran it, it told me that SHARE was loaded!  Looking
>in my DOS manual, it says, "Share is automatically loaded if you have a
>hard disk which is greater than 32 megabytes in a single partition".  So
>apparently, if you have a disk > 32 mb but with no partitions > 32 mb, DOS
>just warns you, but doesn't do anything.  If you have a partition > 32 mb,
>it loads SHARE whether you like it or not.

Very interesting.  I have a PS/2 55sx with a 60mb drive and DOS 4.01 (well, I
used to - switched to 3.31, though).  The whole drive is configured as one
partition.  I kept on getting the warnings about SHARE, and since I run MS
Windows/386 with several standard apps at once, I thought it might be a good
idea anyway.  So, I put the line in my config.sys to load share.

How does it load it automatically?  Do you keep DOS and all of its files
(specificall SHARE.EXE) in the root dir?  I have my copy of DOS in a sub-dir.
Maybe it would load share by itself if it could find it...

Comments?

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/06/90)

>In some article I wrote:
>>it loads SHARE whether you like it or not.

>Someone else commented:
>Very interesting.  I have a PS/2 55sx with a 60mb drive and DOS 4.01 (well, I
>used to - switched to 3.31, though).  The whole drive is configured as one
>partition.  I kept on getting the warnings about SHARE, and since I run MS
>Windows/386 with several standard apps at once, I thought it might be a good
>idea anyway.  So, I put the line in my config.sys to load share.
>
>How does it load it automatically?  Do you keep DOS and all of its files
>(specificall SHARE.EXE) in the root dir?  I have my copy of DOS in a sub-dir.
>Maybe it would load share by itself if it could find it...

I received a helpful e-mail message from Michael Kersenbrock at Tektronix.
He claims that if you have a shell= command in your config.sys file, it
will use the path that you give to look for SHARE.EXE.  If it doesn't
find it there, it looks in the root of the boot drive.  In my case,
I have a shell=c:\dos\command.com /p /e:1024 line.  And I have SHARE.EXE
in the \dos directory.

--

lance@helios.ucsc.edu (Lance Bresee) (02/06/90)

In article <5073@ur-cc.UUCP> ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) writes:

>How does it load it automatically?  Do you keep DOS and all of its files
>(specificall SHARE.EXE) in the root dir?  I have my copy of DOS in a sub-dir.
>Maybe it would load share by itself if it could find it...
>
>Comments?

copy con autoexec.bat
c:\dos\share
^z

lance

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (02/10/90)

> in my DOS manual, it says, "Share is automatically loaded if you have a
> it loads SHARE whether you like it or not.

I solved this by deleting Share.exe from my hard disk, no error messages,
and no problems after 6 months of use.

jcb2647@cec1.wustl.edu (James Christopher Beard) (02/13/90)

Concerning debate about whether SHARE needs to be loaded or not to run
large disk volumes under MS-DOS v 4.01: I have never taken any steps
to load SHARE, either; it is certainly not in my CONFIG.SYS or
AUTOEXEC.BAT.  But the MS-DOS documentation indicates that the program
is loaded AUTOMATICALLY when a large partition is used.  Running "mem
/program" on the system I use, which includes a 65-MB partition, shows
that SHARE is indeed loaded.  I suspect that MS-DOS loads it
automatically, as advertised, and only squawks when and if it can't
find the code.

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (02/13/90)

jcb2647@cec1.wustl.edu (James Christopher Beard) writes:

>Concerning debate about whether SHARE needs to be loaded or not to run
>large disk volumes under MS-DOS v 4.01: I have never taken any steps
>to load SHARE, either; it is certainly not in my CONFIG.SYS or
>AUTOEXEC.BAT.  But the MS-DOS documentation indicates that the program
>is loaded AUTOMATICALLY when a large partition is used.  Running "mem
>/program" on the system I use, which includes a 65-MB partition, shows
>that SHARE is indeed loaded.  I suspect that MS-DOS loads it
>automatically, as advertised, and only squawks when and if it can't
>find the code.

My understanding is that if SHARE.EXE is in the root, it will automagically
load it at boot time.  Otherwise, one needs a line in the CONFIG.SYS like:

  INSTALL=[drive:][path]SHARE.EXE

--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/14/90)

As someone who installed DOS 4.01 and then deinstalled it and reverted
to 3.3, I wonder why you guys use it? I run out of memory a lot and DOS
4.01 wasn't helping. Do you have files larger than 32 megabytes? I
really don't mind the partitions I use on 3.3. I keep programs on c: and
backed it up once. Data is on d: and backed up daily. This is actually a
convenience.

Am I missing any important features of 4.01 besides large drives?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/20/90)

In article <29160@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
<Do you have files larger than 32 megabytes? I
<really don't mind the partitions I use on 3.3. I keep programs on c: and
<backed it up once. Data is on d: and backed up daily. This is actually a
<convenience.
<
<Am I missing any important features of 4.01 besides large drives?

With DOS 3.3 I had a bunch of logical drives (up to drive k: or l: as I recall,
all but the last were 32 Megabytes) all JOINed to c: with DOS's command of that
name and that was fine.  Except there is a LOT of software (PCTools, file-man-
agers, add-on DOS shells) that can't handle JOINed drives.  Seems every time
I looked at another (neato-keen) program it broke if it had to deal with my
JOINed-drives-as-subdirectories scheme.  Other than that I'd RATHER use 3.3.

I never did get around to pounding the D.R. (as in Digital Research) DOS
around enough to determine its 3.3<->4.0 capability and compatibility.
Maybe I should load it up on a drive and play with it for a while.  (D.R. DOS
supports >32 megabyte partitions but in all other respects (?) is equivalent
or slightly extended from DOS3.3.)

kEITHe