[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Batteries

scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Scherer) (02/20/90)

    If a battery is soldered on an AT system board and needs it to be replaced
do you have to unsolder it before connecting an external battery. Also
is it possible to see the difference in appearance between a NICAD and
Lithium battery.

    Thanks in Advance

daly@cgull..westford.ccur.com (Patrick Daly) (02/21/90)

In article <1060@nems.dt.navy.mil> scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Doug Scherer) writes:
>    If a battery is soldered on an AT system board and needs it to be replaced
>do you have to unsolder it before connecting an external battery. Also
>is it possible to see the difference in appearance between a NICAD and
>Lithium battery.

My old PC supposedly had a Nicad somewhere on the motherboard that requires
the system to be running for some length of time on a somewhat regular
basis (how's that for being specific ;-> ) to keep it charged up.

I never bothered to locate it since the system used an external lithium battery
(which was selected by means of a jumper).  The lithium was velcroed to the
case and had a 2 wire connector to connect it to the mother board.

The old lithium battery was blank, but the replacement I put in had
clear markings as to what it was.