[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pc-brand 386 systems any good?

john@prism.TMC.COM (02/13/90)

I've recently seen some ads for PC-Brand 386 systems in PC-magazine that
look outstanding for value, if the stuff is not junk, and if they have
a decent service/technical department if things go wrong.  Anyone out there
had any experience buying one of these things from them?

Someone here bought a 286 system from them a couple years ago and ended up
shipping the whole thing back before the 30 day try-out period.
But this is only a sample of one, and I'd like to know more.  I'm tempted.

----
JOHN DOWD	john@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xwait}!mirror!john
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (02/13/90)

In article <206900165@prism> john@prism.TMC.COM writes:

>I've recently seen some ads for PC-Brand 386 systems in PC-magazine that
>look outstanding for value, if the stuff is not junk, and if they have
>a decent service/technical department if things go wrong.  Anyone out there
>had any experience buying one of these things from them?

Yes. I purchased a 386SX from them last October. I bought the SX with 2 MB
of memory, 71 MB Miniscribe Hard Drive, 5-1/4" Toshiba floppy, Samsung VGA
tube, 16 Bit VGA card, 2 serial ports, a parallel port and a game port.
This cost me $2705.00

I partioned the disk in half running DOS on one half and Xenix 2.3.1 on
the other. Under DOS I run 386 Windows, the Microsoft C Compiler and a boat
load of other DOS stuff.

Under Xenix I've just cooked up the 2.11 News and hope to get a connection
soon. This machine has performed flawlessly thus far. The Computer Buyers
Guide reviewed this machine *very* favorably last month, showing the
Compaq 386s running neck and neck, or lagging behind in bench marks.

The mother board is clean and well manufactered. I installed a Microsoft
mouse without problem.

The system uses the AMI BIOS, which I managed to screw up when installing
Xenix. The support people were knowledgeable, and had me straightened
out in a few mimutes. The Manual is small, but sufficicent. I would strongly
recommend looking at them, their prices can't be beat. They been in business
for over 6 years, and have been written up in various PC magazines for have
Service 2nd to none.

Dewey Paciaffi
eddjp@althea.UUCP

--
Dewey Paciaffi
eddjp@althea.UUCP

john@prism.TMC.COM (02/21/90)

I've received a few responses so far, but not many.  Perhaps I should have
said that I'll summarize them all when there's been enough time.  So, once
again, please share your experiences good or bad with pc-brand systems,
particularly regarding service and support.  Thanks in advance.

					john@mirror a.k.a. john dowd

----